Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Glock 22

Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Glock 22

About a dozen years ago, I had a Glock 22 and shot it a lot. I sold it to my son and always missed it. A couple days ago a new one followed me home from Fargo. I had forgotten how hard it was to load the Magazines the first time. To start with I could only get 13 in each magazine. I took it out for a while yesterday and it seems to be very accurate. I shot some 155 Grain FMJ's and some Federal Hydro-shock 165 grains. I also shot a few 165 grain PMC HP's.

I have read that you shouldn't shoot lead bullets in the factory glock barrels although I shot many hundred of the TC lead bullets in my first one. Has anyone purchased an aftermarket barrel for the 22 for lead bullets? This one has the sort of Military green frame and the black slide. Can't wait for some better weather.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Glock 22

Congrats on the new purchase! Its terrible how those things follow a guy home. I hear ya on there hard loading mags, when I got my last auto I had the same issues!

I can't re-call what the reason was for not being able to shoot lead cast bullets out of Glocks. I remember when deciding between a Glock and my Springfield the guy at Garys Gunshop told me, but that was 2 years ago now.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess it has to do with the rifling but I shot almost all lead bullets through my last one.I guess I was lucky. I love the Glock 22. It will take some getting used to the trigger again.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I guess it has to do with the rifling
yeah its therifling. i can't remember exactly why. a good friend of mine shoots competitions with a glock and he reloads all of his ammo. he has toget jacketed lead bullets. i will ask him tomorrow why exactly you aren't supposed to use lead bullets.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Hunter. I still have about a thousand lead bullets. I may look for an aftermarket barrel. OR buy another 40.Maybe a Ruger.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think you can use lead either. I heard that somewhere as well. Isn't it cuz the rifling is plastic as well????
Old 02-20-2007, 04:06 PM

I know we are talking about Glocks, but I was reading this last night, perhaps its the same thing with the glocks

"The CW9 uses a conventionally rifled barrel, instead of the polygonal rifling of other Kahrs. Conventional rifling has lands and grooves that are squarely cut, while polygonal rifling is usually hexagonal and looks more like “hills and valleys,” according to some descriptions. Polygonal rifling yields slightly higher velocities due to a tighter gas seal, but conventional rifling is less likely to build up hard-to-remove lead deposits. Traditional thinking suggests that polygonal rifling yields superior accuracy, but in testing a Kahr Arms P9 side by side with a CW9, the P9 was only good for groups that were 1/4 inch better, on average, from the 25-yard line. "
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

James B

You may want to check this out before you reload for your glock at all.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: savagescout

James B

You may want to check this out before you reload for your glock at all.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
Good read
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good link Savage.

I know a guy who competes regularly with several Glocks and has switched to the aftermarket barrels with traditional rifling because he reloads for them and wants the added safety of a fully supported chamber. Makes sense to me, but those factory polygonally rifled barrelsdo work great for accuracy, but I've never chrono'd mine to see if there is an actual increase in velocity.

Quick Reply: Glock 22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.