Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Recoil Managing Shooting Rests

Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recoil Managing Shooting Rests

And that is another consideration too cma that I did not fully take in to account. That BR rifle of yours is one heck of a lot more accurate than my deer guns. To me, .4" is accurate as heck for deer, but for you BR guys, .4" is out of the competition in the first round. That may well be where some of our disagreement is coming from. Even if I put my guns on the BR format you are using...I doubt they would ever shoot .2"... while my guns, optics and handloads are all good....they aren't BR quality.... they aren't designed to be.

So for me, and my rigs, there isn't enough difference to really be able to tell. It still really doesn't make sense to me, but I will conceade to your line of thinking when it comes to BR guns, since that is an area where my knowledge and expertise are novice at best.

What I still don't understand fully, is how a Lead Sled would be a hinderence over traditional sandbags, or tripod rests? How could minmizing recoil, in any fashion, ultimately hinder consistancy or accuracy?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, guys, the dissertations on harmonics and POI from different types of rests and grips is real and needs to be considered by serious shooyers at some point in time. My statement about the Leadsled being cumbersome still stands in my mind. What also stands in my mind is the fact that when you are load developing for 375's and the such, the leadsled is darn near invaluable for extended bench sessions with these creatures. Final form and techniqes can be accomplished after we find out what she likes to eat best............
Old 02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Wow, alot of feedback on this topic!
I have a leadsled and do enjoy it very much.
One thing I do not do is place weighted bags on the sled. The sled weighs 16 lbs by itself and that enough weight to reduce the recoil, but does allow the sled to move with the shot. One does have to readjust after the shot because the sled does move, usually to the right a bit.
Placing 25 lb bags of shot( up to 4) reduces the sleds absorption quite a bit and this may be the area of energy that transfers to the rifle because the sled is so heavy.
I find the 16lbs to be sufficient to give me a very solid, accurate rest and reduces recoil enough to shoot 12 ga slugs for at least and hour or more.
Just MHO.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting off our "sled" with two bags of weight on it. I'll try no additional weight and see what happens, as far as the felt recoil. I want to try that, as I don't understand how less weight on it would be beneficial, but will try it.
One thing I do know, is you best be shooting with a good scope with great parallex correction, or you're gonna have lots of trouble. To get up on the scope like I should when shooting off the "sled", I'm like a monkey on a football. Distorted, and totally out of a Real comfortable shooting position. That may be just me, however. It does reduce the recoil noticeably.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:34 PM

Pawildman-

The folks posting before us stated something about the energy from recoil being transferred to the rifle because it could not move rearward and dissipate like a normally fired rifle. They mentioned cracked stocks and sheared screws becuase of torque. Thats why I mentioned reduced weight, no bags on the sled. This allows the sled to move a bit, relieving the energy built up in the form of recoil, but still provides ample benchrest support and recoil reduction becuase the sled weighs 16lbs. I have yet to fire my .338 Win Mag from the sled. I will try it without weight. If it feels like it needs more recoil reduction, I'll place one bag on there. The 12ga with slugs was not a problem for me without weight.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM

the lead sled is supposed to reduce recoil by 90% on the advertisement the shooter put an egg between the butt of the gun and his shoulder and it didnt break
Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Damn tough egg..............