Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger revolver

Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Ruger revolver

ALright guys, im looking at buying a revolver and this will be my first one, I want one thats going to run under $600, .45 colt, single action, 7 1/2" barrel; those would be my needs, and so far the gun I've found looks likeRuger New Model Black hawk

I was wondering what you guys thought of this gun and/or if there is a better choice out there by your opinions

thank you and best wishes
Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ruger revolver

Ruger Super SS .44 Mag , Scoped!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

You can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.

They are as strong as they come. All of the balistics tables list the hottest loads with an *(Ruger) You can handload the .45LC to almost .44 Magnum levels.

You can accesorize them to your hearts content. Scopes, grips, sights, holsters.

They are as accurate as a single-action revolver can be. With a little tuning the trigger can be slicked up.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex

Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will agree Ruger Super Redhawk, .44mag 7.5 in barrel leuplod eer 4X scope and you have a hunting machine. Even without the scope it is a great revolver.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM

BigGameHunter, what do you plan on doing with handgun? If your going to hunt with it I have to go along with the .44 super redhawk. But if it's a .45 colt your looking for the Blackhawk is an exceptional choice.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the super blackhawk hunter model or bisley hunter model.
They are stainless,.44 magnum,come with scope rings,VERY accurate and reliable,and you can shoot .44 specials for light target practice.
Altough they are single action only,I have yet to see anyone who can ACCURACTLY rapid fire a .44magnum in double action.
As far as a handgun scope,do NOT go over a 2x until you are more familer with shooting a scoped handgun. Indeed,within the range limitations of the .44mag,a 2 power scope will serve ALL hunting needs.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 PM

dont let anyone ever tell you you cant hunt with a 45 colt.....if you handload you're in business....if not then you'd be better off with high priced factory loads like buffalo bore etc. The 45 colt will do everything a 44 mag will do without as much pressure....I know, I've shot lengthwise through several hogs with mine....and never found the bullet....thats over three foot of penetration.....so there you have it, a 45 colt will do for hunting. If you want to hunt with it, get the 7.5 bbl ruger bisley hunter (if you like single actions)....If you just want to carry it in the woods....go with a shorter barrel....you'll be thankful.

Incidentally that load i mentioned was a hard cast lead 270 grainer at 1000 fps.....you can certainely load the rugers up much hotter than that.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:35 PM

Who said you can't hunt with a .45 colt? I still want to know what he wants to do with this handgun, hikeing, hunting, plinking, shooting the dog next door, or just because that's what he's looking for. I think whatever one wants is what he should get. I think what he's looking at is a great choice, I love all my Rugers.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 AM

It would be nice if they offered the .45 colt with the longer super blackhawk steel grip frame, I personallyfind the regular blackhawk grip to be too short. Like the wider hammer spur also.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love my Super Red Hawk! Personally, While hunting I'm going to fire it single-action, so the Black hawk would be just as good for me!

Quick Reply: Ruger revolver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.