Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage All Weather vs. Remington sps stainless

Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Savage All Weather vs. Remington sps stainless

Hi all.

I am looking for a rifle that will last a lifetime.

I am trying to choose between the Savage Weather Warrior 116fss and the Remington 700 SPS Stainless.

I have heard about the synthetic stocks on savages to feel flimsy. Is this true?
Any other advantages? The savage is cheaper. Is it made as well?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Savage All Weather vs. Remington sps stainless

Either would be a good choice. The synthetic stocks on Savages do tend to be flimsey, but based on my experience, do not affect accuracy to any real significant degree. I have a Savage 10ML-II ML, with a synthetic stock, so some experience. I also have a sav American Classic in .300 win mag with laminate stock. Both will shoot 1" @ 100 yards. Savage builds very sturdy and accurate firearms, but they are not the "prettiest" to most, if you even care about looks.
If cost is a factor then I would without a doubt say to go with the savage.
The only folks that do not like savage wear red and carry hammers and sickles!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd take a 700 sps over the Savage 116FSS.
Why:
Don't like the tupperware stocks (flimsy and empty feeling)
Don't care for the Accutrigger(lawyer bar in the middle to be exact)
Don'tlike theTang Safety
Don't like internal Box magazines
Poor factory recoil pad

Savage builds a good rifle and they are known for out of the box accuracy. I too have a 10II on a plastic stock, it shoots very well. I just prefer the 700 actions.

I'd suggest you shoulder and feel each, then make up your own mind. IMHO the most important thing is fit (which includes feel).

Good Luck

Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the Savage 116 weather Worrior and was very disapointed in the rifle... Gun shot like crap. Looked down the muzzle end and noticed some tooling marks in the rifling. Well I sent the rifle back to Savage and explained to them about the accuracy and the marks in the rifling... They sent the rifle back to me with a test target and the group was 1.65... They said that, that was acceptable accuracy[:'(]

I got rid of that piece of crap and bought me a Rem XCR 300 Win Mag... Adjusted the factory trigger down to 2.5# and floated the stock/barrel and this gun will shoot 1MOA all day long

Good luck with your Savage
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I had the Savage 116 weather Worrior and was very disapointed in the rifle... Gun shot like crap. Looked down the muzzle end and noticed some tooling marks in the rifling. Well I sent the rifle back to Savage and explained to them about the accuracy and the marks in the rifling... They sent the rifle back to me with a test target and the group was 1.65... They said that, that was acceptable accuracy[:'(]

I got rid of that piece of crap and bought me a Rem XCR 300 Win Mag... Adjusted the factory trigger down to 2.5# and floated the stock/barrel and this gun will shoot 1MOA all day long

Good luck with your Savage
You wear RED don't you!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 116fhss in 30-06 and love it. I for one like they way it looks, and glad I spent a little extra and got the hinged floorplate. Damn good shooter as well. The "lawyer bar" on the accutrigger takes 2 minutes to get used too, andis well worth it for what else it offers... Just my experience and opinion... Good luck and happy shooting either way you go...
Old 01-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Try that Savage trigger with gloves on...then buy the Remmy.

What cartridge are you looking at?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: seattlesetters

Try that Savage trigger with gloves on...then buy the Remmy.
Ain't that the truth.[&:] Ihave popped thesafety feature more then a few times requiring a cycle to re-cock - thank good it didn't happen with an animal in the scope. I am getting a bit more use to the AT but prefer a standard trigger fo sho!

ryngner, your right for some but others who are use to clean breaking light pull of a normal triggers the ATcan bemore then a 2 minute overcome job. I logged over 400 shots with my AT equipped rifleand still have not overcome it. I am seriously considering removing it that is how much I dislike the feel of it, function isfine.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:43 AM

Go with the new Hawkeye rifle from Ruger. Very well built rifle and nice looking as well. It doesn't have an adjustable trigger like Remington but is supposed to be clean and crisp at 3.5 pounds. Go up to your local Bass Pro Shops or Gander Mountain and handle both. You will see that the Hawkeye is better crafted then the SPS. Just my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: Savage All Weather vs. Remington sps stainless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.