Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Shotgun SBE vs. SBE II or neither

Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Shotgun SBE vs. SBE II or neither

So, if you were or are in your early thirties and looking to purchase a shotgun for turkey with the added possibility of occationally shooting clays with friends or going pheasant hunting. Would you look at a Super Black Eagle II at $1400 or a usedSBE for $800.

Ordo you have reason to tell me that something else likea Rem 1100 would suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for your input,

J
Old 01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun SBE vs. SBE II or neither

Either Benelli would suit your needs, the 11-87, new 1100 would be fine also the Beretta Extrema would work also. It's all up to you and your wallet.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 AM

For the money I would go with the Beretta 391 Series.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Beretta, i dont have one yet but my friend just droped 1200 on his and LOVES it. He is a very avid duck hunter and had the SBE and says the Berreta is a awesome rifle.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: johnshiredman

So, if you were or are in your early thirties and looking to purchase a shotgun for turkey with the added possibility of occationally shooting clays with friends or going pheasant hunting. Would you look at a Super Black Eagle II at $1400 or a usedSBE for $800.

Ordo you have reason to tell me that something else likea Rem 1100 would suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for your input,

J
Yesterday duckhunting, we shot until our barrels melted down. I took my browning gold stalker, and an elder in the church had a SBEII. We both shot and shot in salt water, rainy cold weather, and niether had a problem. I was surprised how much more the SBE kicked over my gold however.

I hunted for years with an 1187 in duck blinds. And can't say I ever had a hicup besides when my gas o ring broke, hense led me to trading for a gold. The gun worked like a champ, but that o ring thing got me mad that day, and I traded a gun that had a great track record. But it all worked out in the end, and think the gold hunter 3" I have is a fine gun too.

Duck hunting is 10X more brutal on a shotgun than turkey or most upland hunting. I can't imagine the need for a SBE for a one shot on turkey, or

People overthink buying a shotgun most of the time. They get caught up in hype, price, and big name. And usually covet the most expensive thing. TheSBEII cost way too much in my opinion. Yes, they are nice reliable design, and cleaning is an ease. If one has the money go for it. But for my hunting where its brutal, I choose to go with a gun under 600 dollars.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ehhh....for turkey hunting...I have a dedicated turkey gun. Short, light, sights, full camo, slings etc etc. Its a Mossy 835. Pretty inexpensive, but Lord its great to carry on run and gun and that overbored barrel throws as nice a pattern as I have ever seen. But, it sure ain't no clays gun!

I would go with a SBE (the original). The II is great, but you don't need it. Infact, if you are going to shoot clays much at all...I would go with an older Super 90 or Montefeltro. Both are great guns, cycle light loads reliably, and are light enough to tote around all day on turkey hunts.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a SBE and I will tell you it is a great shotgun. I use mine for turkey because of the ease of operation/ cleaningand the fact that it is light in weight and real maneuverable. It does kick like a mule and IMO the new recoil technology only makesthe SBE11a better gun. I might just trade mine in for the new model.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM

For around the price range your looking at you could get a Berretta Extrema. This gun kicks so little you could shoot clays, pheseant, or ducks all day long, it is a wonderful gun, but its your choice.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have a SBE and upgraded to a 10ga Browning Gold specifically for turkey hunting. If you're interested in a used one, drop me a PM or email me at [email protected] Noting wrong with it, bought it for turkey and just decided to use a little more firepower.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Franchi I-12

Quick Reply: Shotgun SBE vs. SBE II or neither

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.