Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Diappointed

Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Diappointed

I drove up to Grice's yesterday. Their new flyer advertised Rem. 700 SPS Varmint @ $499.95 (after rebate), and the 700 VSF @ $929.95. Both available in the new 17 Rem. Fireball, which I'm interested in.
I was disappointed with several things. Number one, the 17 Fireball is not available yet. I asked when, and was told "soon". Number two, the SPS Varmint looked like some kind of made-over Miliyary sporter, in my mind. The bolt body is black anodized like the barrel and receiver. Probably doesn't mean anything, but it just looked cheap to me. The stock was black synthetic, naturally, with a strange shaped "checkering" pattern. My grandson has a couple of toy guns he plays with that look better.
The 700 VSF at least has a polished and engine-turned bolt body. The H.S. stock is very utilitarian looking.
I don't know....maybe I just expect too much anymore, but I felt for the money, I'm gonna get ripped on the looks end. Oh, sure, I'm probably gonna buy one or the other, but will have to transport them on and off the range under a blanket, 'cause they sure are UGLY!!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Diappointed

My SPS looked a hell of a lot better when I looked at the well under one inch groups it shot the first time out.

The SPS is not pretty but having owned four of them already, they perform great.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

JamesB, I'm thinking about buying an SPS. What ammo does yours like to get those groups?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

The Remmy SPS is a great rifle for the money. Although I didn't choose it in my latest search, it was right there at the top of my list.

I wouldn't hesitate to own one.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope they don't come out with a left hander version... My wife will divorce me