Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Marlin 308 Express

Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 308 Express

ORIGINAL: dog1

SwampCollie,

I may be wrong, but I went to Marlins' web site and I believe they do offer the new rifle in a blued version.

I only have one lever gun, but would be interested in this new one as long as I could get dies and shells for it.

I also doubt that it would ever replace the old nato 308, and that makes me wonder why they didn't just chamber the rifle in the nato round. However, the new round will give us something new to play with.

dog1
10-4. The only ones I have seen in pictures (both in magazines or online) have been laminated with stainless. I suspect that this model will cost the most, hence, it is being advertised the most. Its good that they are mixing it up for us old schoolers.

As far as your dies go...you will be able to get dies, however, because hornady is using their magic on these, you won't ever be able to acheive the same velocity/energy as they have from their factory rounds. They use some sort of powder mix and likey some sort of compressed load to get the kind of ummph out of their rounds without blowing guns up. And moreover, I doubt they will even release leverevolution bullets for me to load in my 30-30AI. So it might be a tough row to hoe for handloaders.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for posting the info.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would imagine the main reason for changing the case design is to keep from having to pay any type of royalties on using the traditional .308 nato round and just isntalling a flat tip bullet into it. Now that is just my own opinion there, so correct me if I might be wrong. And while they are at it, probably taking the opportunity to streamline the cartridge to cycle better in a lever styeled gun. I am excited for it, finally a true long range levergun. I love the feel of a good lever action rifle, they just work right for me.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would imagine the main reason for changing the case design is to keep from having to pay any type of royalties on using the traditional .308 nato round and just isntalling a flat tip bullet into it.
By putting a flat tip bullet in it you would not gain anything. They designed it to take advantage of the new Hornady Leverevolution bullets. Also the case is changed to keep people from shooting regular .308 rounds in it and having the shells go off because of the pointed bullets so it is a safety factor. That is the same reason they put a rim on the .450 Marlin to keep people from using it in older .45/70 rifles and having them blow up.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TUK101

I would imagine the main reason for changing the case design is to keep from having to pay any type of royalties on using the traditional .308 nato round and just isntalling a flat tip bullet into it. Now that is just my own opinion there, so correct me if I might be wrong. And while they are at it, probably taking the opportunity to streamline the cartridge to cycle better in a lever styeled gun. I am excited for it, finally a true long range levergun. I love the feel of a good lever action rifle, they just work right for me.
Royalties for the NATO round? Are you suggesting that Federal, and Nosler, and Remington, et. al. pay royalties to NATO? Or that they pay royalties to Winchester because it's also called the .308 Win.? I don't think it works that way, or at least, I've never heard of such a thing. I would think that, even if the case dimensions were patentable, it would be like pharmaceuticals and after a period of time you'd get to call it a generic without having to pay a royalty...
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM

I am not too familiar with reading ballistics info just yet and determining what it can do. gonna try to start reloading for my .44 this year though but I was wondering from those who are experts with ballistics or think they are: what could be the maximum effective range of such a round. I know some people say my .35Rem Marlin is a 150 yard gun...to me I wouldn't pass a 200-250 yard shot. Maybe even more if I was practiced at that distance. Like the little .223 most people think of a short range bee sting which can be accurate 600+ yards. Do you think the new cartridge might have potential without stupid ammounts of drop at 600+. Could it shoot long range wise against a 308?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 AM

I am afraid this cartridge has a limited future. It is a proprietary cartridge, loaded with a proprietary bullet &
special powder, which apparently has to be compressed
with special machinery inorder to fit into the case, such as is done with the Hornady Light-Magnum rounds.

Handloaders will not be able to match the velocities
attained with the manufactured round, which is a drawback. I am also not sure other rifle manufacturers
will make the rifles in this caliber since they have the .308 Win.

The pity is they didn't chamber the .307 Win. on which the new cartridge is based, with the new polymer tip
bullet. This was an excellent round which also had the advantage of being handloaded using .308 diesand a 30-30 shell holder. My .307 handloads with 3031 powder shot sub MOA groups @ 100 yds.

From what I understand Marlin didn't offer the .307 because it would haverequired using a stronger receiver which is what Winchester did. This is one of the main reasons the .307 failed.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the 307 failed because is was introduced about 20 yrs too late. Would I buy a 308 marlin express, no because it covers the same ground as my 307. Will it last, probably but I think not more than a niche gun. As far as needing special equipment and tooling to load this ammo, it's the same as any other cartridge, a press and dies, nothing special. Where it gets weird is that the ammo manufacturers can blend their propellents to achieve pressure levels where as the handloader risks killing themselves.Hornady has no intention of releasing theleverevolution bullets as a component any time in the foreseeable future. By the wayI have to ask this Fred, have you had trigger work done on your 94AE, because sub-moa groups from a lever gun is rare indeed.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Yes you can handload the 308 ME, I am sure dies will be available. Good
luck trying to attain the same velocities the Hornady cartridges can attain though. Be sure you're insurance is paid up if you try. I would
find it difficult to believe Hornady didn't apply the same technology they
attained in developing their Light-Magnum product to the 308 ME.

No my .307 AE didn't have a trigger job, just carefully built handloads.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmm??

Quick Reply: Marlin 308 Express

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.