Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help decide on rifle purchase

Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help decide on rifle purchase

Okay, I really liked the T3 from the reviews and I might go try them out again. One question on the Remington 700. Academy has the 700 SPS in black on black for $428.00. Walmart has the 700 SPS in Black on SS for $504.13. I get confused on all the different models on the 700 and am not really sure which one I tried out at the hunting store the other day. It seems like thereare about a dozen different models out there. Is the stainless the right choice for it's ability to hold up the best? I'm probably going to go by Academy and try out the 700 SPS next. I was really unimpressed with the hunting store I went to the other night. They were having some event and the only person who helped me was a guy who actually worked for Berreta and he was pretty good at trying to sell me on the T3 although he did hand me a Remington 700 to try out and it did feel a little better. They are all too short though.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a Tikka T3 in camo and stainless for $700, I put a nikon AO 4.5 x 16.5 scope it. The caliber is a 25-06. I love the gun and scope and it shoots what they advertise right out of the box. I adjusted the trigger down low as it would go and it's very crisp and nice. For elk, I'd go with a little bigger caliber but I wouldn't pick a 30 cal just because of the kick. I also got a 7mm mag Ruger Mk II but that's a finnicky round seems like. I reload mine my ownto make it shoot good. If I were you, I'd go with a 280 or something like that.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Why don't you run this past James B? He seems to have quite a bit o' knowledge, & he recently picked-out a 700 SPS for himself.
ORIGINAL: James B

I just bought the Remington SPS in 7MM-08. I am very Very happy with it.
There's a whole 'nother debate about blued vs. stainless out there. I'm not sure one gains any accuracy with stainless, but I can't speak to what it does for a guns' resale value.

Your prices sound right along the lines of the guys I use:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=69497b38396f222b 13730eaa2f07e5e4&keywords=700+sps&osCsid=6 9497b38396f222b13730eaa2f07e5e4

When you say that the guns are, "too short", do you mean that your trigger hand seems too close to your face? I suppose you could try to find a knowledgeable gun seller, & ask them which models have the longest length o' pull. Or, you could put on an aftermarket recoil pad that would take up some extra space.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had several SPS rifles (Aready). For the price, I don't think they have an equal. The 700 Action is about as proven as it gets. The Remington barrel, (though you will hear knocks about the newer ones) seem to shoot very well. I expect and uaually get sub one inch groups from the box with Remington rifles. I like the 24 inch barrel which makes the SPS's, right up my alley as they all have 24 inch barrels. I like the Matte finish and the snynthetic stocks and they are available in stainless. I expect no better accuracy from SS barrels and if anything, it doesn't suprise me if they are a bit less accurate. Some knock the stocks as being flimsey but unless you plan to use it for knocking down trees and stuff, this makes no sense to me.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged
There's a whole 'nother debate about blued vs. stainless out there. I'm not sure one gains any accuracy with stainless, but I can't speak to what it does for a guns' resale value.

Your prices sound right along the lines of the guys I use:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=69497b38396f222b 13730eaa2f07e5e4&keywords=700+sps&osCsid=6 9497b38396f222b13730eaa2f07e5e4

When you say that the guns are, "too short", do you mean that your trigger hand seems too close to your face? I suppose you could try to find a knowledgeable gun seller, & ask them which models have the longest length o' pull. Or, you could put on an aftermarket recoil pad that would take up some extra space.
Yes, when I say they are too short it is that the trigger and scope are too close to my face. I've got long arms and a long torso so this isn't anything new on getting this to fit properly. I was thinking that an aftermaker recoil pad would be the best way to get it to fit. I know that it is better for it to be too short and that with a coat on that will help it also so it's not that big of a deal.

My only worry on the stainless is that it might reflect light more than a regular barrel. I don't remember having any issues with durability on any of our old guns and they had regular barrels.

Back to calibers I'm still on the fence. I really think 7mm Mag would be the best, but I'm not sure how much worse the .30-06 would be and I do think I would practice more if I was able to buy shells for $12 a box vs. $24 a box.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont forget if you hunt in the cold weather and wear some heavy layers it wont be so close. Im 6 4" with about a 32" bow draw length and have really like the size of the Model 7's and Browning Micro's. Sometimes its where the scope is mounted that matters.

Although if you arent comfortable with them then go on the the next model. Having confidence in your shooting is what matters most, all the guns you've looked at have been advised to check out will be great if you like it.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stainless vs matte boils down to personal preference. True the SS is a little more forgiving, thoughit still requires oiling/care. Accuracy and function IME are the same with both products. Usually on black synthetic stock I like a SS(looks) however the SPS matte black on the new stock looks pretty sharp as well. Really is a wash on these 2 for me on the looks department. Though that is me not you so pick which ever finish you prefer. As far as glare I have never found a ss or even the traditional high gloss blue(which gives off the most glare) to be of concern with a biggame rifle. Shotgun in a goose pit sure but in the woods with game that don't solely rely on sight...NAH!

To your quander over cartridges, they are both well suited. Can't go wrong with either. If you'd practice more with cheaper ammo then buy the 06'. Though bare in mind while a box of 12 shells may shoot good it can just as easily not either. Unfortunatley you won't know that until you shoot the rifle in regards to preferences. Though all things equal comparable shells will be less for the 06 andbeing ownership costs seems higher on your list then mine go with what your guts telling you. Don't think anybody would advise you to buy something you won't shoot as much, that wouldn't make any sense. Though don't buy wanting another, either.

As to the comment about the 7mm rem mag being picky I can't say I share this experience. I have loaded for a number and not found them worse than other cartridges to develop loads. My personal 7mm rem mag is the opposite, almost to likable and makes the slim down based on accuracy mooted.A problem I certainly don't mind having. ThoughI have ran into guns that are picky, this isn't secluded to a cartridge but rather the rifle or bore you may be dealing with. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

CZ 550 American in 30-06. Slightly less expensive than the 700 and one helluva gun. You won't regret, but if you do regret it, e-mail me and I'll buy it from you. [email protected]
Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Personally Id go with a Bushnell 3200. You cant beat the Rainguard finish for the field. Not just for rain but if you have ever hunted in the cold and had your breath or the heat off of you face fog up a scope you'll understand how important the Rainguard is. The 3200 and FF II have the same quality of glass.

If you want to spend a little more you wont find a better scope for under 300$ This is for a Elite 4200 3-9x40mm for 279$.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

If you can spend 400$ then get the Conquest. You cant beat the quality of that scope for the bucks. To me the Conquests and 4200's are by far the best scopes you can get for the money.

I agree with the Bushnell assessment 100%. Pretty tough to beat for the money. Comparable quality to higher priced glass. I haven't seen many complaints on them from people who've actually used them and compared them to other scopes.

Here's a link to a low light study/comparison a guy did that I thought was really useful:

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=9515&highlight=one+dog+optics+ study

As for the gun, I did a lot of shopping around and reading opinions/reviews/whatnot and ended up buying a Ruger 77 in 25-06.(I already had a 7 mag) I liked the overall quality, the price, the mauser-style bolt and the controlled feed. So far, I haven't found a factory load that shot worse than 1.5". I also planned on getting the trigger worked on right away, but the factory trigger was excellent.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:43 PM

.30-1906 I own a 7mmRemMag but it has been collecting dust fora fewyears now
Out of your choices I would choose the Remington 700
Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm

Savage makes great out of box rifles(for less)and a wealth of aftermarket stock styles available. the M40A1 fits me real well.

Quick Reply: Help decide on rifle purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.