Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 870

Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Remington 870

Well, I always thought of the shotgun for hunting deer as an ugly way to get a deer, but now I'm warming up to the idea. Part of my disdain has to do with not having a left hand. I think I will be able to operate the pump action just fine with my prosthesis if I get a vertical foregrip. I can operate a Rem 870 with the standard forend, but not well enough for hunting or trap shooting.

I have a few questions:
1) Can one get an 18.5" rifled slug barrel? It would be nice to have the short barrel for hunting the woods around here.
2) Are all the 870 models from $200 - $600 the same internally(for the same gauge and chamber), or are they different?
3) For a slug gun, do I want 12ga 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/4" chamber?
4) Also, how does the Mossberg 500 compare to the Rem 870 pricewise?
5) Do 870's have a key lock?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 870

The various Rem 870's are well illustrated on their website. Some companies sell various after market parts, but I believe the factory rifled barrel job is 20". The 18" barrels are cylinder bore buckshot tubes. (Pretty crappy for trying to shoot slugs accurately.) The difference in prices, I believe, are due to differences in stocks and finish. Barrel, action and tube are made of the same stuff. I was looking at a police model over $400 and it was because of the finish. I don't think slugs are made in shells over 3". (Anyone more up to date on this, please fill in.) Wish you luck with the forend grip fit! But one shot will probably drop your buck! Don't know about the Mossbergs. Used the 870 alot in corrections and military. Really liked it.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main difference in price is the finish. Stock, barrel, and receiver. Internally, they all work the same.

As for the barrel, you can get aftermarket barrels in that length. Nice thing about the 870, is there are plenty of aftermarket parts for them. Easy to modify.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

nk,
Yes the 870 does have a key lock.

I have two 500's and one 870.You can just about buy 2 500's(slugsters) for the cost of one 870.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Does the 500 or 590 have a key lock?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 AM

I would suggest a 20 ga if you are thinking about shooting sabots out of rifled barrel. Also have you looked at the single shot H&R/NEF guns. I would think they would work pretty well for you. Mine is pretty short compared to an 870 or 500.

I don't understand what you are asking about when you say key lock? Are you asking if they come with a lock? Most guns you buy now a days will either come with a trigger lock or a cable lock, which is basically a pad lock with a long cable that goes thru the action. They do not have a lock built into them if that is what you are asking. And in most states if they didn't come with one you would be required to purchase a trigger lock. Heck they give them away where I live sometimes.

I am with the others on the 870's as well, the price differences are just in the finnish, they are all built about the same inside. You also might consider a browning BPS, the have a bottom eject and to me a smoother action than the 870. They cost more too though. They also have a better twist rate for the rifled barrels which means they may not be as picky about ammo. Slug guns can be pretty finnicky about what they shoot well sometimes.

I honestly think your best bet would be a used semi auto with a slug barrel Like an 1100 or 11-87. Remington also has the new SPR 453 which will shoot a 2 3/4 inch shell up to 3 1/2 inch shells and is semi auto. It is imported from russia and retails around 300 bucks new. I have been hearing pretty good things about it. The only down side is if it were to break you would probably have a heck of a time getting parts for it. Where as an 1100 or 1187 would be much easier. With no hand to hold onto the foregrip recoil may be an issue for you, and an auto would give you the least amount of recoil.

Something else to consider would be a ported barrel. I had a mossberg with a ported barrel. I didn't notice some much a reduction in reciol, but it really helped with muzzle flip. They are pretty loud though, not as bad as a centerfire or handgun with a muzzle break, but they are louder than a normal shotgun.

Like I said though, your most inexpensive route would be a H&R single shot. Simple to use, very sturdy and fairly accurate. I love mine. And they cost around 200 bucks, some a bit more, some a bit less. Depends on what model you want. Depending on what hand you are missing I would think it would be easy to operate for you.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

While deer can be killed with shotgun, it is an inferior choice, IMHO, to be used only if required. Here's why: buckshot is a close range <40 yard proposition, and... slugs hurt to shoot, and sabot slugs are expensive.

I've killed deer with shotgun; I occassionally carry with buckshot early in season, if doing a drive, or later if running dogs and required... but it isn't my first choice.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I too have a disdain for shotguns too. Mine is mostly centered around shotgunning for deer being kind of a quick draw sport, sometimes with running deer!

I want the pump for cost and reliability. I know some auto's will function pretty well with almost anything, but I think I would prefer the pump. I want to be able to shoot powder puff clay bird loads through heavy slug loads.

I also think my arm can function it fine. I think I said before that I can function a regular 870 with my hook, but I will scratch the gun up or slip off when pumping fast. With the pistol grip forearrm, that is eliminated.

Wow, you guys are scaring me with all the recoil talk. I have shot a 12 gauge single shot quite a bit before in my youth, but not for 15 years or so. How will a 20 gauge perform on deer? What kind of range can I get out of either a 20 gauge or a 12 gauge slug gun?

The whole reason I'm interested now is to improve my chance of getting a whitetail buck, and because I can build the ultimate shotgun for hunting/claybirds/home defense for like $1200, IMHO.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was asking about the key lock as part of the gun. I realize that some states with questionable leadership require gun locks. Mine does not, yet. New Dem as Governer though so. . . .[:'(] I just don't like them because I think they are a slap in the face to good gun owners. Basically someone is telling me that if I don't have this lock built into my gun, I will be too stupid to make it safe. Also, this same "smarter than the average gun owner, self appointed gun safety wizard" is making me pay forthe gun lockin the cost of the gun. Where will this wizard be when I leave my key at home on opening day? Where will they be when the non-servicable locks rusts up solid and my house is in need of protection? Can I sue this person in a wrongful death lawsuit when my family is hurt or killed in a home invasion? enuf said.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:29 AM

I don't know of any of the shotguns you are intersted in that come with built in lock. I have seen this feature on a few handguns, but I honestly couldn't name them by model and maker. Most do come with a lock in the box though. Like I said, it is a padlock with a cable on it that runs thru the action when it is open so the gun cannot be operated. Sort of like a bicycle chain lock. All but one of mine are still new in the baggy because I don't use them.

After your last post I could easily suggest an 870 express or mossberg 500 combo model. They come with both barrels, a fully rifled barrel for deer and smoothbore with interchangable chokes for birds and small game. And a 20 ga is pretty good now a days with the better ammo, but only for a dedicated slug gun. If you want versatility I say go with a 12 ga. Not that a 20 won't work for birds and small game as well, I just feel the 12 is better.

The only limitation a shotgun has over a centerfire is range. They are good out to about 100 yards, maybe a bit farther if you find a load your gun really likes and practice. Recoil is not that bad. Non of my shotguns kick as hard as a centerfire, like say a 30-06, and it's a different kind of a recoil. Not quite as sharp as a centerfire.

I actually don't think slugs kick that hard, I have shot pheasant and turkey loads that kick much harder than a standard slug. I would assume water fowl loads are just as harsh. And I am only 5'3" and weigh 130 lbs.

I live in a shotgun only area, I have never shot at a running deer yet and I don't use buckshot. If you don't want to shoot at running deer don't do it, doesn't matter what weapon you use. The weapon you choose does not effect the animals behavior. If a deer runs every time it gets close to you I wouldn't blame it on the gun.

Oh, and on a side note, the Mossberg 500 comes with all three chokes and you can get a muzzle loader barrel for it as well. And if you are thinking about scoping it, get a combo with a cantilver barrel that you can mount the scope right to the barrel with. Reciever mounted scopes don't work that well on guns with removable barrels that are not fixed to the reciever.

As far as barrel length goes, most of the slug barrels are fairly short anyway. You won't notice much of a difference between 18 inches and 22 inches in the field, both are fairly short and easy to handle.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Paul
Old 11-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't know of any of the shotguns you are intersted in that come with built in lock. . . .
After your last post I could easily suggest an 870 express or mossberg 500 combo model. . . .

I live in a shotgun only area, I have never shot at a running deer yet and I don't use buckshot. If you don't want to shoot at running deer don't do it, doesn't matter what weapon you use. The weapon you choose does not effect the animals behavior. If a deer runs every time it gets close to you I wouldn't blame it on the gun. . .

Oh, and on a side note, the Mossberg 500 comes with all three chokes and you can get a muzzle loader barrel for it as well. And if you are thinking about scoping it, get a combo with a cantilver barrel that you can mount the scope right to the barrel with. Reciever mounted scopes don't work that well on guns with removable barrels that are not fixed to the reciever.

Paul
Well, the 870 comes with a key lock in the safety. I'm guessing that if I change this out for a big button safety, that fixes that. Anybody know for sure. Sometimes they make these key locks rather permenant.

Yea, I was looking at the combo. If the Mossberg comes with three chokes, that could be a nice deal. Do Mossberg's only come in 24" rifled barrrels? It would be nice if they made a 20".

I do stink, but I always thought it was the other hunter's thrashing arround and talking that kept them on the run. Personally, I don't shoot running game here. Too many other hunters and houses in the background.[:@]

Can you explain why receiver mounted scopes don't work? Is it just switching barrels, and requiring a re-sight in, or is it something else. I was thinking a dot sight like the EO Tech would keep me from getting banged up and make a good sight on either type barrel.

Quick Reply: Remington 870

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.