Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bolt Action Shotgun

Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bolt Action Shotgun

Any opinion on these? Who is making them now? How do they function compared to a pump? How many shells will one hold?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Default RE: Bolt Action Shotgun

The only company I know that makes them is Savage. They should function just fine I'm assuming.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin use to make one that was good from what I heard. Of course, you had to get use to the 36" bbl.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:48 PM

Doesn't Mossberg still make a bolt action slug gun? They did up until about 4 years ago.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have one, I believe that it was a Savage marked as a Sears. It was a 12 gauge that took a 3 shot clip. It worked pretty good, kicked like a sucker. I am sure that a newer one would work a bit nicer, probably not kick quite as bad, but the bolt action in general worked just fine on mine. The benefit to having a pump is when you are skeet shooting you can reload considerably faster.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Any trouble with the feeding or ejecting of shells, since they aren't made for a bolt action?

I wish I could use a pump, but I really need something which operates right handed as I don't have my left hand. My prosthesis works fine, but slips on the pump action. Does someone make a pistol grip for a Rem 870? That is my other option, but I thought a bolt gun would make a nice slug gun for deer hunting.

Can I shoot shotshells down the rifled barrel?

Also, is the trigger same as any other Savage bolt gun?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shotgun that I had on bolt action worked just fine. I dont recall having any problems with the bolt jambing on the shells. As far as shooting shotshells through a rifled barrel I would think that you would be fine as long as you used lead shot.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:27 PM

You can shoot shotshells through a rifled barrel. It won't harm anything...including whatever you aim at. It won't hurt your gun/barrel but when you spin the shot it will spread the pattern into a giant donut shape. I'm sure they make pistol grips for an 870, they seem to make everything imaginable for it!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Browning marketed one once, for a short time. It was a very nice slug gun. It might be worth a little time trying to find one. It was a rifled barrel, and it shot very well. There are also a couple of custom makers. Contact some dealers in Ohio or Indiana-they should be able to help you, since they are slug gun states. Contact Gary at E&E guns in Tell City, Indiana. I consider him to be an expert. You can also contact Big Steve in Evansville, IN. I have not talked to these guys in a few years, but they are good.

Yes you can get a grip for the Remington 870.

Have you considered a break open single barrel. The Encore would make a very very very fine slug gun. Tom.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 AM
Dominant Buck

WTS/T Browning A bolt 12 gauge fully rifled

Quick Reply: Bolt Action Shotgun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.