Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Guns you like . Why ??

Old 12-22-2002, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Guns you like . Why ??

It all started with a Red Rider in my youth. Then came the Crossman 760. It was not until I was old enough to move out of the house that I could have a real gun. Moms rules!!!

The one Taurus I own is little spurless .44 Sp. A great shooter. The milling is not as nice( alittle rough on the edges) as you might see on a Colt, SW, or Ruger but the price was right and the feel is awesome.

I've made a few bad sells. I unloaded my Supa Redhawk a few years back. I bought it used and had some problems with it. Only a couple times did it hang fire when using some aftermarket reloads. All in all it was great gun. One gun I need to get back. I'm a Dirty Harry fan.

Another mistake was selling the Mini-14 ranch. That was another great gun but I am more happier with the DPMS AR-15. It has less of a recoil I believe and a slicker action.

My camo Mossberg 500 was my 1st purchase. Another realible gun. The slide is little noisery than most pumps but all in all it is one great 'beater' gun. I felt kinda funny showing up at the skeet house with a turkey gun so I later purchased a SKB 585. SO I could hobknob with all the skeet boys. The fit and finish on this gun is by far the nices I own. It has work flawlessly except when using light loads. Light loads aren't strong enough to reset the pin when shooting doubles.

By far my most fav is the Marlin lever .44 mag. I just love lever actions for some reason and this gun is one I would recommend to anyone looking for a great gun. From recoil to fit to accuracy and price this gun is awesome.

10/22 what can you say. Probably the best .22 semi on the market.

For ML'ing I'll take my Knight any place. Its only failed me one time. Even with open sights this gun was knocking the ten ring out of the box. Last year the front sight fell out for some reason so instead of replacing it I put a scope on it. GO figure!!!

The least played with guns I own are the 'run of the mill' Ruger 30-06 and the old Enfield .303. Whomever had the .303 took care of it. The wood and bore are in great shape and it shoots freaking great.

Got a Ruger P95. Its alittle fat for my hands but a great gun. It has yet to hang up on any load. Also got one of those SS .22 bull barrel jobers with a simulated wood grip. Thats one fun plinker.

And I can't forget my tater guns. Always a crowd pleasure.

I don't have a favorite manufacturer but I do like Rugers. Fit, finish and price of their guns are hard to beat in my book. Plus I like their history. I really try to buy American when I can.

I just wish I more money for more guns!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like all the muzzleloaders.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:40 AM

Good question. For me the "liking" of a gun depends on several things. First I think would be accuracy coupled with reliability. But!!! theres other things that influence me. Some rifles just have a special feel and function about them. The mausers, springfields, model 70,s(pre 64's and classics) When I cycle the action on a ruger 77 it just feels and sounds like fisher price. I realize that has nothing to do with function, but it still influences my thoughts on how much I can like it. Stupid? maybe so, but true for me nonetheless. I'm sort of with franke concerning the "feel". Most folks under the age of 30 have never used a springfield crag and dont know how slick and positive they are. The action is like two polished steel balls inside a velvet bag. None of the comelately guns can do that. Perhaps this sort of thing is related to confidence in a gun, which is a primary reason for using it. If you have loads of confidence you will use it better.

Old 12-31-2002, 01:48 PM

I found two things apply to finding a favorite gun.

The first is how well it works... how effective the gun is in getting the job done. I have a Savage 24 Camper's Companion over and under in 22lr/20 GA Magnum. It's lot's of fun, very accurate, light in weight and fits me like a glove. It's taken grouse, squirrels and a whitetail deer with a slug. With a load of buckshot it makes a passible defensive weapon. It's my favorite long gun and I own my share. I wouldn't care who the maker was - the design is great. I just wish someone would produce it in stainless steel. A revolver I carry is in the same catagory. It fits the bill and I wouldn't care who the manufacturer was. It just works and has all the right features.

The second consideration is looks... how it appeals to the eye. Could be oiled wood or deep blue. My thing is rugged durability. I prefer stainless steel and synthetic stocks, strictly from a utilitarian perspective. I've got a great stainless .375 H&H. It's a work of art from a purely practical perspective. Shooting it is about as much fun as being body-blocked by a Volkswagon that didn't quite stop at a pedestrian crossing. I don't put myself through that too often.

Once in a while you find a gun that has both qualities. I carried a Thompson SMG on the job for about a year. It had both eye appeal and complete reliability. Come to think of it, it was made by Savage. The maker didn't matter.

Yep, it's not brand loyalty. It's what works for you and/or what turns your eye.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:05 AM

My $400 Sako Hunter. Because I can beat most any Savage out there and it looks a lot better.