Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Cheap Savage

Old 11-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cheap Savage

I don't really like the 7mm mag because it gives up some killing power to the 30'06 due to bullet diameter, but it recoils more. It also is of beltted mag design so it can be tricky to make it headspace off the shoulder for max accuracy. I'm not sure it is bad, but there is just better available. For a do it all on north america with cheap ammo, my vote is 30'06 or 308. If you will reload and want to shoot farther, I'm fast becoming a 300 WSM or 270 WSM fan.

I would also give the 260 Rem a shot if this will be used on just deer and smaller.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

I don't really like the 7mm mag because it gives up some killing power to the 30'06 due to bullet diameter,
ahhh the old internet folk lore, gotta love it!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:45 PM

I don't really like the 7mm mag because it gives up some killing power to the 30'06 due to bullet diameter, but it recoils more. It also is of beltted mag design so it can be tricky to make it headspace off the shoulder for max accuracy. I'm not sure it is bad, but there is just better available. For a do it all on north america with cheap ammo, my vote is 30'06 or 308. If you will reload and want to shoot farther, I'm fast becoming a 300 WSM or 270 WSM fan.

I would also give the 260 Rem a shot if this will be used on just deer and smaller.
I agree, if I want more killing power than an -06 I go with .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag, the 7mm mag just doesn't get it done for me.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111
I don't like the 7mm mag cartridge, and never will.
Care to give some explaination to this statement using facts????
Yeah, the 7mm mag is a very overrated cartridge for big game hunting, it gives up bullet weight and killing power to the 30-06 and bigger cartridges, and it has to move so fast to even get 100 to 200 more ft lbs than the 30-06.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, if I want more killing power than an -06 I go with .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag, the 7mm mag just doesn't get it done for me.
Just doesnt get it done for you??? That is probably about the stupidest comment I've ever, ever heard reading these forums. First off do you even own one? Second off have you ever harvested game with one? And third off What part of propelling a 140-150 gr bullet at 3200-3400 fps doesnt work for you?? When will you guys stop believing all this crap you read on the internet and realize dead is dead!!!
Old 11-24-2006, 02:53 AM

Just doesnt get it done for you??? That is probably about the stupidest comment I've ever, ever heard reading these forums. First off do you even own one? Second off have you ever harvested game with one? And third off What part of propelling a 140-150 gr bullet at 3200-3400 fps doesnt work for you?? When will you guys stop believing all this crap you read on the internet and realize dead is dead!!!
Ok, so would you take your 7mm mag and hunt polar bear in Alaska with it? Get over yourself, you are obviously a 7mm proponent, I want agun that I can take LARGE game with, not some pea shooter shooting 3200+ FPS and not even achieving greater killing power than a 30-06. I guess for a guy who hunts white tail deer 99% of the time its a great caliber. And my statment may have well been the dumbest, that is, until you posted. The only crap I believe is whatI have seen, the 7mm mag is a damn good white tail gun, I have seen them fail several times on elk, and big bears, while the 30-06 and bigger, have always had success. And if you want to continue this rant, I'll give you my phone# and you can come with me on my next trip to Alaska, and bring your little 7mm. We'll see how it does in the face of a grizzly. Very poorly, for sure, hell, you had to brag about your that little spike you killed not too long ago.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:02 AM

And on top of that the 30-06 has less recoil.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

since when did this conversation turn into "Mossy said the 7mm was a great grizzly gun"????? My we switched gears real quick, going from it just doesnt measure up, to it just doesnt measure up on grizzly bears!!! I mean thats like saying a MustangGT isnt fast and then saying a MustangGT isnt fast against Dale Earnhardt Jr's Monte Carlo. I've never hunted a Grizzly, dont know anything about them, and if I knew this was a Grizzly bear conversation I would have stayed out of it, since you decided to make it one.

*oh and whats with the spike comment????
Old 11-24-2006, 09:50 AM

Hahaha, you manipulated what I said, I said that for Large NA game, a 30. Cal. or over is better, because of higher bullet weights, and more power.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I don't really like the 7mm mag because it gives up some killing power to the 30'06 due to bullet diameter,
ahhh the old internet folk lore, gotta love it!
Let me presume we are all trying to get along and learn from one another. I said the 30'06 can have more killing power due to it's diameter. Yes thatt is true and many "stopping power" or "killing power" theorists have tried to show it's impact in the formula's. Now even I will agree that those formulas and ratings are all kind of supbjective. Frankly, WE, all of us, including you, don't totally know what equals stopping power and what equals killing power. Here are my reasons for bullet diameter:

1) If 2 bullets of equalconstruction, weightand velocity hit the same spot on the same animal, the larger diameter bullet slows down moreand expends more energy getting through the animal. Energy expended is creating the wound channel. Energy expended = shock(the quick stopper)This is why dangerous game rifles start at 458 caliber and go up to 600+. Velocity out the back is only a liability. It is no benefit.

2) Animals seem to bleed more out the exit hole in my experience. For a given weight and construction, larger diameter = larger hole. Larger hole = more tissue damage and quicker bleed out.

3) For a given bullet weightand case size, the larger the caliber the more velocity. For example- 150gr 30/284(30'06 equivalent) load, velocity = ~3040fps. For a 284 150gr load, velocity = ~2890fps. For a 6.5x284 150gr load, velocity = ~2680fps. See the trend. Study it yourself, don't take my word for it.

So, I will give you that the 7mm Rem mag and 30'06 are very close in killing performance, but can we agree the 30'06 has the advantage, even if it is so small that it ddoesn't matter all that much?

Now for why to get the 30'06:
1) Ammo available in Two Dot, MT factor. 30'06 ammo is available everywhere.
2) Generally,30'06 bullets will not blow up, even cheap ammo. Remember, need that exit hole.
3) 30'06 usually gives you a one round mag capacity advantage. I used to laugh athis, but now that I'm down to 2 in my 300 WSM, I wonder why it isn't a single shot!
4) Ammo is cheap infinate variations are available from 55gr to 220gr for non-handloader.
5) A 30'06 conld be used on Grizzly or other North American dangerous game with the 220gr RN loads. 7mm just doesn't have a big bruiser bullet available.

If you want the added point blank range of the 7mm Mag, get it. That is what the 30'06 gives up to the 7mm Rem Mag.

Quick Reply: Cheap Savage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.