Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

1,000 yard deer rifle...

Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1,000 yard deer rifle...

ORIGINAL: DAVID WHITE

Yes, the muzzle is recessed with a series of 4 steps or actually a crown within a crown. This is more cosmetic than anything else as my trade mark on big barrels like this is usually a "triple crown"...
Thanks. I didn't know if it was a cosmetic touch or if it had some sort of ballistics advantage.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, can someone write a typical hunting scenerio for shooting a deer at 1000 yards? Do you spot a deer at 600 yards and then move back to the next ridge or what? Do you have to have NO wind, or can you make that much compensation? What kind of rest do you shoot off of? Do you have some kind of portable bench on a cart?
Why must you make something so difficult? Just set up a pile of apples, corn, and a salt block 1000 yards away from your concrete shooting bench. If you want to make it really nice, build a heated shack around the shooting bench, complete with electricity for the tv set so you don't miss the big game on sunday. Now that's hunting[8D]
Old 11-13-2006, 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

So, can someone write a typical hunting scenerio for shooting a deer at 1000 yards? Do you spot a deer at 600 yards and then move back to the next ridge or what? Do you have to have NO wind, or can you make that much compensation? What kind of rest do you shoot off of? Do you have some kind of portable bench on a cart?
Why must you make something so difficult? Just set up a pile of apples, corn, and a salt block 1000 yards away from your concrete shooting bench. If you want to make it really nice, build a heated shack around the shooting bench, complete with electricity for the tv set so you don't miss the big game on sunday. Now that's hunting[8D]
You have no idea how funny that really is.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: Briman

You have no idea how funny that really is.
That is definitely one of the pictures I had in my mind. Like I said, I can't even imagine this, so was really just trying to get an explanation. But maybe your excellent attempt at humor might not be too far off of the truth. I just couldn't help but ask.

Also, Mr. White. You have made and have seen the 1000 yard one shot kills. How many were not successful? How many misses? How many wounded deer?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 AM

Let me lay down a little background information on our being able to shoot deer to 1,000 yards...

For one, we are able to shoot out to 1,300 yards because we have access to an area that used to be an old air strip where crop dusting planes use to land and take off many years ago. Now, everything on both sides of this airstrip is grown up in trees but the stripitself isnow just 12 feet wide but does still the full length of 1,300 yards. I take a riding mower over to keep the "range" clean a couple times a year. Cows are also on this property and help keep it clean as well. Of course when shooting, the cows are moved to a different pasture...

When setting up to start shooting, we go to the range and sight our guns in to hit point of aim at 600 yards. We then move out in 50 yard increments out to 1,300 yards and make a drop table that covers all the yardages. We then check and recheck our yardages and scope adjustments and once everything is confirmed, we have our drop tables with scope adjustments put on a piece of heavy paper and laminated so we can always have it ready for reference when shooting...

We have 3 fields that we hunt. These fields are from 300-400 yards wide and near a mile in length. The benches that we shoot off of are concrete and are set backat the edge of a tree line. We measure off 600 yards as a starting point and go out to 1,300 yards in 50 yard increments. On each side of the field, we set up different colored flags starting at 600 yards. 600 yards is a white flag, 650 yards is a green flag, 700 yards is a yellow flag, 750 yards is a purple flag and so on...

Once set up, if a deer comes out on either side of the field and comes out by say a purple flag, we go to the drop table that we made and it shows us EXACTLY how many clicks to run the scope up to be able to hit point of aim at that distance. Once everything is adjusted accordingly, the crosshairs are put high on the front shoulder and the trigger squeezed...

We have been shooting deer like this for 9 years now and regardless of size, we have made it a "rule" not to shoot anything in side of 600 yards. Since does can be shot as well bucks, horn size does not matter. It is more a matter of shooting skill at long range than it is in trying to see who can shoot the biggest buck. To date, the seven of us have taken 32 deer in the past 9 years with no loss and no deer has had to be shot a second time! If we are unsure of the shot, we either let someone else take it who feels they can or we let it walk. We will not risk a wounded deer because of too much wind, bad angle or anything else. We do take pride in being able to make 1-shot kills and expect nothing less...

There has been one time with three of us shooting that we had a small herd of deer come out at around the 1,100 yard mark that the three of us killed 3 deer in 3 shots and with a couple of Federal Game Wardens watching us! After the deer were shot, the other deer in the herd fed all around their dead counterparts as if nothing had happened...

Yes, what we do is more "deer shooting" instead of deer hunting but that is just the challenge that we set up for ourselves and would'nt trade it for anything....

DAVID
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think all shooters should have to make one trip in their life to Camp Perry. When you watch those guys shoot, you will realize anything can be done. All it takes is years of practice, the ability to listen to other shooters, experience, and an open mind(not to mention alot of money). You will see fellows shoot at distances off handed, that most hunters would not even consider off of a bench.

Hunting is a progression, the more experience you have, the moreinformation you seek. There are two ways for a hunter to go. They either go to more primitive weapons, or they go to more modern weapons to shoot longer distances, it is just a natural progression.

Either way you go, you normally feel the other way is wrong. "Of course it is wrong, that is why I went the other way".

Keep an open mind to other hunters way's of hunting.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Either way you go, you normally feel the other way is wrong. "Of course it is wrong, that is why I went the other way".
Then you get oddballs like me who want to do both...
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM

I think he has already established that he has the ability to do it properly and has set up an established technique to ensure a solid hit. He has also explained that he is doing more "deer shooting" than hunting. The rifle used is specialized to be sure and that is the particular challenge he has chosen to take. If he does so with skill and obtains clean kills then so be it. No different than shooting groundhogs at long range.

It isn't my bag either but hey I would love to take a few long shots and see what happens on paper. If I had the skill and equipment to do it consistently on deer then I don't see anything wrong with it. The key issue being skill and equipment. If he can get 9 out of ten inside the kill zone in varying conditions then I would say he is within ethical boundaries. I have seen and missed deer well inside of 100 yards and consider myself to be a pretty good shot. Anyone can miss, at short range or long regardless of skill. The possibilites for a miss at longer ranges certainly go up but i'll bet a miss at that range for most people would likely never hit the deer at all. Like I said not my bag for deer but who is to say a groundhog at 1000yds is more or less and animal than any other.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

I'm all for you david I love being able to crack one way out there with my bigiron. I am so sick of people saying that guns over kill or since they cant keep the 06 on paper at 300 they feel no one else has any business shooting that far. Now for me I feel comfortable to 500 yards with my custom 300rum she will do more but I dont have the science perfected to go any farther and theres too many trees around here to get in the way. Most my hunting I do with a bow and arrow and harvest a nice buck almost every year and by nice I mean 130 pluson public land so I know I have the know how to get close and its not a being lazy issue its just testing ones limits. I have set my limit cause theres not a doubt in my mind that I can hit'em and I have yet to lose one Ive shot 3 deer over 400 yards havent missed yet.Dont get me wrong I kill alot of deer with myrifleunder 100yards but just like to try something different everynow and then.I respect everyone here for knowing his/hers limits and how they chooseto havest there animals. I for one enjoy both ways of hunting and get the same rush everytime I shoot one if its 15 yards or 450. Now I rambling so I'll stop there

By the way sweet gun david I want to have kirby allen build me a 6.5/300wsm topped with a night force next summer if funds are avaliable better get to work too make funds available good luck to everyone hunting and in all walks of life
Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know if a deer so much as just moved a bit at the shot you could gut hit him so easily that I have to ask, why the hell do you want to risk wounding a deer? I'm sure you are capable of doing the shot as is your equipment and you have done it many times but if you haven't wounded one yet ( or will admit to it ) you eventually will. Why?

Quick Reply: 1,000 yard deer rifle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.