Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.325 WSM

Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .325 WSM

270 WSM's are flying off the shelfs around here.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 PM

Craig Boddington just had a Brown bear hunt in Alaska with this round. It dropped a medium sized grizz in one shot. Saw on the TV. Ballisticly it is so close to the 338 as to make no diff. And I understand all of you who say that there are too many cartridges already and that this cartridge is not needed. I hear what your saying but I can't help but get excited when Big Green or Winchester comes out with a new cartridge. This is how they sell multiple rifles of the same platform to the user. More choices are good for the industry, and good for us. That being said, My main rifles are champbered in .22lr, 30 06, 300 win mag, and 6.5x55. The newest cartridge here is the win mag. I believe it was designed in the 50's. The others are all around 100 years old.
If I had a lot of money, I would probably get more guns chambered in all of the new cartridges. Not sayin' I would hunt with em but that doesn't stop me from wanting one.
okcmco
Old 11-19-2006, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: okcmco

Craig Boddington just had a Brown bear hunt in Alaska with this round. It dropped a medium sized grizz in one shot. Saw on the TV. Ballisticly it is so close to the 338 as to make no diff. And I understand all of you who say that there are too many cartridges already and that this cartridge is not needed. I hear what your saying but I can't help but get excited when Big Green or Winchester comes out with a new cartridge. This is how they sell multiple rifles of the same platform to the user. More choices are good for the industry, and good for us. That being said, My main rifles are champbered in .22lr, 30 06, 300 win mag, and 6.5x55. The newest cartridge here is the win mag. I believe it was designed in the 50's. The others are all around 100 years old.
If I had a lot of money, I would probably get more guns chambered in all of the new cartridges. Not sayin' I would hunt with em but that doesn't stop me from wanting one.
okcmco
Wrong, the .300 Win Mag was introduced in 1963.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: okcmco

okcmco
The problem with the .325 WSM is the same problem that plagued the 8mm Rem Mag, theamount of 8mm bullets that will hold up at Magnum velocities is very minimal, if the 8mm Mag was more popular, I would definently own one.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see the .325wsm as a true all around gun for the 1 gun person. With 180gr bts it would do an excellent job on deer sized game,while the heavier bullets would be great on the rest of north american game. There is an old saying-beware the 1 gun man
Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 AM

Loading data, as requested;
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/325wsm.php
Since the .323/8mm is one of the more popular calibers in the world, there isn't any shortage of good bullets to load. Check the top-notch makers, as well as the domestic giants, and you'll find lots of offerings, including plenty of premium quality stuff that will easily handle the "magnum" velocities.
Value of the .325? "Good as any" class elk &moose round, but loading data shows that it can't really run with the more traditional "serious" bear calibers. Almost but not quite the equal of the .338 Win. Mag., but still potentially a great round. It's a shame the market is already so full, as I fear this round is destined to the lack-luster status of one of my other favorites, the .350 Rem. Mag.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

stalkingbear - I believe that old saying goes "Beware of the man with only one gun - he probably knows how to use it."
Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

stalkingbear - I believe that old saying goes "Beware of the man with only one gun - he probably knows how to use it."
Or, he could have little experience with firearms, and only shoots his gun once a year. To get it zeroed for deer season.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:20 PM

The .325 WSM is a great round especially when you hunt with the Winchester 1885 High Wall Hunter rifle. I am not one to follow the crowd I look for something that I like, its my money why should I follow everyone else? I have been hunting since I was a boy and the .325 drops them in the first shot where they standif you have the right grain bullet. This rifle and round is good enough to hunt anything in North America, and like some one said before I do not think the Deer, Bear, Elk, or hogs are going to know the difference except for the quicker death. I only have 2 rifles now, for the distance shots I use the 1885 HWH.325 and scope, in the thick areas orbush I use my Winchester .444 marlin carbinewith just Iron Sites. I have dropped everythingI have shot at where they stoodon the first shot with these two rifles. I do not think I will buy anything else. Every one at the hunt club always wants to check out my rifles, everybody has a .270 and .300, so if you fancy being different I say find what you like its your money, I love the .325 WSM.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM

Here is a qoute from guns and ammo about hunting with the .325 WSM:

"Remarkably, all our elk died at the first hit, though shot angles varied and distances ranged from 180 to 260 yards. Sure, the .325 is powerful. But elk are tough, and a five-for-five score shows this round to be as deadly as any you can carry. Besides the AccuBond CT bullet that we used, initial loadings include a 180-grain Ballistic Silvertip, also under Winchester's Supreme label. In Super-X boxes you'll find a 220-grain Power-Point. The chart shows that this cartridge not only delivers .338 Magnum punch, it shoots as flat as long-range deer rounds like the .270 and 7mm Rem. Mag. The three loads also trace nearly identical arcs at long range and cross the 400-yard mark at nearly the same speed, so you should be able to vary factory .325 ammo without noticeable shifts in point of impact. Of course, you're smart to fire at long range with every hunting load to confirm that."

Here is the link for thefull story, the 3rd page has the ballistics chart: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/number_072605/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.