Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

O/U shotgun

Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 PM

Default O/U shotgun

I'm interested in an O/U shotgun. I looked at the Remington spartan and the Khan. Does anyone own or have experience with either??

I really don't hunt with a shotgun so it will be used for an occasional sporting clays shoot and maybe some trap or skeet. I know there are better O/U's but I can't afford them and not justifiable for the amount of time I will use it.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Default RE: O/U shotgun

The Spartan is a great gun for the price. I've never heard of the other. I would recommend a Stoeger Condor. it can't be beat for the money. I have shot that one and love it. The one I shot was great except it takes a while to break in and we had a small problem with the safety not wanting to go off. Hope that helps. Let us know what you get and how good it is.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:26 PM

outdoorslover,

Thanks for the info. If I decide to buy it will be within the next couple of weeks. I will definitely post my findings.

Thanks again
Old 10-28-2006, 06:32 PM

I own one of the earlier BaKail O/U's with the walnut stock and screw in chokes. It's basicallY a Citori knock off. I added a Morgan adjustable recoil pad to it and now it's really a great shotgun. Since they've turned to the Spartan line (by Rem) the stocks are not as nice but still a good shotgun. The good thing now is chekes are eaiser to obtain.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 PM

the mossberg silver reserve is in the same price range and also a pretty good gun. shot a lot of trap skeet and sporting clays with it and hunted phesants rabbits ducks geese crows with it and never had a problem.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Might also want to check out CZ USA firearms. They are close to the price range and offer lots nicer wood and finish.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 PM

Idont know where you live, but if you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors in your state they carry a great O/U. Its a Yildiz, Turkish import. The action is aluminum, making it extremely lightweight. When compared to the Spartan, the Spartan feels like a bag of cement. I bought the gun for less than $400 out the door. It has been shooting great, comes with 5 different chokes, and really doesnt kick bad at all. I would highly recomend it to anyone, and I forgot to mention, the wood on it is absolutely beautiful, its Turkish walnut.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:17 AM

I got a Traditions O/U a few years ago. Its Made by an Italian firm called Fausti. It is an excellent weapon and at the time only cost $550. I've shot thousands of rounds through it at everything from clays to pheasant without any complications. Oh yeah I purchased it at Wal-Mart.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Aggiehunter

Idont know where you live, but if you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors in your state they carry a great O/U. Its a Yildiz, Turkish import. The action is aluminum, making it extremely lightweight. When compared to the Spartan, the Spartan feels like a bag of cement. I bought the gun for less than $400 out the door. It has been shooting great, comes with 5 different chokes, and really doesnt kick bad at all. I would highly recomend it to anyone, and I forgot to mention, the wood on it is absolutely beautiful, its Turkish walnut.
I've been looking at these as well. I have a Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays 12 ga. It got pretty heavy toting it around in the dove field a couple weeks ago. My son is wanting to do some shotgunning, and I'm thinking about getting him the Yildiz in 20 ga. Might get a matching20 ga.for myself, too. They're a nice looking, lightweight, nicely balanced shotgun. And the price is pretty nice at $386.