Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

MUZZLE BRAKES!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 AM

Default RE: MUZZLE BRAKES!!!

Muzzle breaks are not necessary, as if you can't handle the recoil, then get a smaller caliber, with longer barrel and heavier stock. Muzzle breaks are good for making too much noise.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:47 PM

Having a muzzle brake does not necessarily mean one cannot handle recoil! I use a muzzle brake because I like to watch prairie dogs EXPLODE through the scope and a muzzle brake allows me to do that. There is a group of us who also shoot deer out in excess of 1,000 yards and when looking through a 40X or 50X riflescope, it's very fascinating to watch the effect a bullet has on game at long range. There is a lot to be said about being able to watch "bullet impact" through a high power scope and the use of a muzzle brake helps make that possible....

DAVID
Old 10-31-2006, 04:19 PM

Damn, what do you use for ranges like that?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: DAVID WHITE

Having a muzzle brake does not necessarily mean one cannot handle recoil! I use a muzzle brake because I like to watch prairie dogs EXPLODE through the scope and a muzzle brake allows me to do that. There is a group of us who also shoot deer out in excess of 1,000 yards and when looking through a 40X or 50X riflescope, it's very fascinating to watch the effect a bullet has on game at long range. There is a lot to be said about being able to watch "bullet impact" through a high power scope and the use of a muzzle brake helps make that possible....

DAVID
Well...You can have all the muzzlebreaks that you desire. As far as liking to watch exploding prairie dogs and 1,000 yard shots at game?I see no point is either, and would not encourage anyyoung hunter to get into either.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The muzzle brake is a great feature on a rifle if used properly. I like a MB on my varmint rigs, it allows me to watch POI for a missed shot. Being able to see POI allows me to make an adjustment, and make the next shot count(we are not experts, we miss alot).

We use the threaded MB's which are removable, then we can use the threaded cap for hunting. I have not noticed any difference is shooting the two.

I have used a 243 with a MB to teach alot of kids how to properly shoot a rifle. Believe me I take great care of their ears. Teaching a child the proper way to shoot is much easier when you can take most of the recoil out of the picture. I realize alot of people will say use a 22 LR, and you would be right. However there is nothing like the feel of a high power. After the shooting session, just screw off the MB, and screw the cap back on the end of the barrel.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I HAVE A .308 WITH AN 18" (INCLUDING MUZZLE BRAKE) BARREL. IT IS VERY LOUD. IT MAKES MY HEARING GO AWAY WHEN I FORGET THE EAR PLUGS.

THEN I TEND TO TYPE LOUDER.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Old 11-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion
Muzzle breaks are not necessary, as if you can't handle the recoil, then get a smaller caliber, with longer barrel and heavier stock. Muzzle breaks are good for making too much noise.
Non Sense
Both my 300 and 338 RUMs are braked and reduce muzzle jump which makes for a quicker follow up shot if needed.
Yah and it does reduce recoil so what?.I could handle it with out but why notreduce the recoil if I can.I also have a recoil pad as do most people.
If you are foolish enough to not wear hearing protection while shooting all your firearms it's your problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

IMHO with the exception of contender style handguns ,if you need a muzzlebreak for a rifleone should be shooting a less powerful round. For a person that is accomplished and spent the time learning how properly shoot powerful "magnum" rounds ,abovethe 300 mag ,there is no real advantage in quicker follow up shots. Personally I could be back on my target just as fast with my 375 H&H as my 308.
You'll find PH's in Africa that do no allow hunters to shoot rifles with muzzlebreaks and many a outfitter who cringes at the sight of one here.
I'd rather see a hunter that can place thier shots with percision and respect the limitations ofa caliber than choose a round that they need a muzzlebreak.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

IMHO with the exception of contender style handguns ,if you need a muzzlebreak for a rifleone should be shooting a less powerful round. For a person that is accomplished and spent the time learning how properly shoot powerful "magnum" rounds ,abovethe 300 mag ,there is no real advantage in quicker follow up shots. Personally I could be back on my target just as fast with my 375 H&H as my 308.Good for you.
You'll find PH's in Africa that do no allow hunters to shoot rifles with muzzlebreaks and many a outfitter who cringes at the sight of one here.
I'd rather see a hunter that can place thier shots with percision and respect the limitations ofa caliber than choose a round that they need a muzzlebreak.
Heres this years follow up shot and have at least 10 more Elk, Moose,Lope and countless deer with this braked weapon.
To be honest could care less what others think, If I can have the advantage with less recoil by adding a brake I am going to do it. I am more than accomplished and find no reason but others opinions on notusing a braked weapon. Also if you have ever hunted big game in the woods as much as I you would have also figured out that the brake disperses the noise and most animals are unaware of the direction where the shot has been fired from, which in case of a miss the animals tend to hang around longer trying to figure where the noise came from.
What you choose to do is your own preference. Since I am not in Africa and seldom require a guide,I guess the only problem out there is for the others....Not ME

Quick Reply: MUZZLE BRAKES!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.