Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

How many stick to one load?

Old 10-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many stick to one load?

I'd like to know if anyone else besides me when they find a load or factory ammo that shoots well out of a particular rifle or shotgun and then sticks with it. I'm not talking a new gun , after all ,we all need that new rifle for a slightly quartering shot at a buff at 70 yards. A new gun and finding what shoots out of it is half the fun. I mean once a good load is found , who leaves it at that?
I find it funny everyone wants to try the latest "wizbang" offerings If one already has a excellent round.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many stick to one load?

I don't change a winner!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I find what works I tend to stick with it.I have strayed away only to return to where I was at to start with

Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have always tried new/different loads to find not the same results and end up going back to the original!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:29 AM
DM

I know what i bought the rifle for, and i know what the biggest animial i will use that rifleto harvest. Ithen choose the "best" bullet for that size animial and work up a load in that rifle for that bullet. That's all that rifle will see from then on as long as it's mine. (unless i find a new purpose for that particular rifle)

DM
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

For factory loads, when I find a good one, I stay with it. I quess I should with handloads too but I usually end up trying many different bullets.

I am however getting tired of that game and am going to start treating hand loads the same way. I will load the Noslet Partitions or Barnes TSX in everything that will shoot them well. For deer and antelope I may still use some Hornady Interlocks as well.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, I stick with the best load that I can work up for a gun. Load up 50,60,100 and then on to the next challenge.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

It took me so long to find my current load that I doubt I'd have the patience to go much further!

I've got the accuracy I like, but unfortunately I can't judge the on-game performance, since the #*%^$@! elk wouldn't cooperate this year!

My '06 likes Hornady 165gr Interbonds the best, and the only reason I could see switching from that is if they don't drop the bulls very well when I get to that point.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Read an article this past month that stated that principle...when you find a load that works good, stick with it! Don't cave to the temptation to try the "latest and greatest" round each time something comes out.

My Rem 710 loves Federal 150gr Sierra Game King ammo. Gonna try some Fusion just to see if it likes it, but if not, I'll just stick to the Federal ammo. (Well, on a side note, as long as I am hunting where I am and because my shots are not more than 50 yard and because my daughter likes to hunt, I will probably use Remington Managed Recoil ammo for the next few years, but if I need "full-power" ammo, I'll go back to the Federals.)

Quick Reply: How many stick to one load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.