Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

How many stick to one load?

Old 11-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many stick to one load?

My handloads have changed over the years, looking for the best accuracy and performance. I've settled on a load that seems good for the last 2 years but it's always subject to change, a little tweak here or a .5 grain change there, just to try to make it better. I guess I'm a tinkerer, always looking for something a little better. I doubt I'll every settle on just one load unless I find one that seems perfect and can't get any better. Too many good bullets always being developed and new powders. That's what makes it fun for me, always in search of the Holy Grail load.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:28 AM

Once I find a good load I stay with it for the most part. I will in the off season tinker some ocassionally. In the .270 they changed the chamber spec in the late 80's. So I had to rework my load 2 years ago because the the throat length changed, this changed the bullet shapes and profiles considerably. Beware of the latest new fangled bullets ie super solids, ballistic tips etc they don't always work as adevrtised. I wait 5 years or so before trying the latest bullet to see how they perform on game.

The ballistic tips for example usually shatter and don't penetrate worth a hoot on deer form what I have personall seen. I also haven't had great luck with the barnes & swift bullets ?I know that this post will genrate tons of controversy but I stick with the tried & true bullets, Sierra, Hornady, Noslers, Rem Cor Lokt (made by Hornady anyways).
Old 11-18-2006, 11:25 AM
DM

When i bought this drilling more than 20 years ago, one of the first things i did was make (form) 20 cases for it and head to the range.

It didn't take long to figure out that 200 NP's was going to be the "one load for everything" in this gun, so off i went into the bush with my new (to me) gun.

Now, with more than 20 years of filling my freezer, the same gun and the same load is still working perfectly for me. I harvested this buck a few days ago...

Staying with one load WILL make you a better game shot, so find the load and stick with it!!

DM
Old 11-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find a factory load that works and buy as much as I can affordwith the same batch # and stick with it...