Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Dangerous Remington

Old 09-28-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Dangerous Remington

I wanted to tell you guys what just happened to one of my buddies. He just baught a brand new model 700 mountain in a 270. He went out on the range to break it. After jacking a shell into it he drew at the target. When he clicked the safety off the gun fired. He thaught that maybe he had mistakenly pulled the trigger at the same instense so he tried it again. The same thing happened. He immediately braught the gun back to Kittery Trading Post in Maine. Ironically there was a remington salesman there who took the gun back to remington to be repaired. Now if that is not dangerous I don't know what is. I bet there will be an assembler losing there job. Have any of you heard of this happening?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Dangerous Remington

Ever heard of it happening? More often than I would like. Espeically on the older guns. Wished rem would put out a bolt wher ethe safety blocked the pin all together.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

This happens all the time usually on used guns. It can result from improper sear adjustment which could occur during trigger adjustment during manufacture. Remington hasa superb reputation so I'm sure it will be corrected.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine bought an old remington that when you would rack a round in then lower the bolt handle it would fire regardless if the safety was on or off turned out it had a improperly installed aftermarket trigger.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 PM

As others have stated, this isn't uncommon on used 700's. I've seen a number of them with "trigger jobs" that would go off when you closed the bolt or jarred the rifle.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have also seen this happen when people sprayed lube on the trigger assemblies.The lube attracts dust which then causes the trigger to gum up and it can become unreliable.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:16 PM
bigcountry

PB, one thing I suggest is adjusting the trigger yoruself. The sear engagement needs tweeked. Real easy to adjust. I wouldnt' bother wasting time sending back. Take ya 5 min to fix.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 AM

The 1st thing that I do when buying a new rifle (usually a Remington) is to adjust the trigger and give it a compleat clean both inside and out before I go to the range, and I have never had a problem.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 1st thing that I do when buying a new rifle (usually a Remington) is to adjust the trigger and give it a compleat clean both inside and out before I go to the range, and I have never had a problem.
pretty much same here, i had a friend once that had a ruger m77, (bought used) first time he loaded and chamberd a shell it went off, we took the gun home and removed the bolt, it was in horrible shape, i know remington could do a better job, especially on the older guns, but with what happened with this gun was a deffinant wake-up call for me and my buddy[&o], also bought a rem 870 once for 25$ then the guy tells me, "you know i told you this gun still worked, well sometimes when you pull the trigger it fires right then, other time it may be 10-20 seconds but it will go off"[:-][:@]

i took the trigger assembly apart right in front of him and removed a piece of straw wedge beside the pork-chop hammer, the gun goes of everytime from then on, then the guy is mad at me, i ask you ever think about cleaning this thing
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

[align=right][/align]

Please click on the centerfire model to obtain more information on the program for the specific model, as there are some differences in the program based on model type:
Model 700
Model 600
Model 660
Model 721

Model 722
Model XP-100
Model 40-X

The following bolt-action centerfire firearms are not subject to the Safety Modification Program. Please click on the model for more information on the firearm.
Model 700 ML
Sportsman 78
Model 788
Model 725

Model Seven
Model 710
Model 30 & 30 Express

Quick Reply: Dangerous Remington

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.