Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

My 1st Savage! (So far, so good!)

Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default My 1st Savage! (So far, so good!)

I bought a Mark II BV in .22lr, and got it out to the range today. Actually, I took it "in" to the range today, because the outdoor range was having some kind of dumb-a$$ed shotgun thing this weekend, & they inexplicably closed the rifle range. So, itching as badly as I was to try out my new shootin' iron, I took it to the 25 yd. indoor range 1/2 an hour away.

I guess I did a decent jobon my 1st attempt at mounting a scope, because I was on the paper with 1 shot, and on the bullseye with 3!

I was cleaning the barrel after every 3 shots at 1st, then every 5, then every 10. After my 1st box of ammo, here's what I think:

* SWEET trigger! Wow, talk about crisp!
* I'm not sure what I can infer about accuracy from shooting at 25 yards, but all my shots were more "overlapping" than just "touching". There were a couple where I couldn't see any more than 1 hole.
* I love the balance, and the weight makes a great approximation of my .30-06. Now I can practice my offhand shooting with less pounding on my shoulder.
* I really like the Nikon Prostaff 4x32 rimfire I put on there.
* I bet I'll be buying a 10 round magazine in short order!
* I'd have been pleased with this gun even if I hadn't gotten it for a paltry $245!

I hope to get to the outdoor range in the next couple of weeks to see how it shoots at 50yds & 100yds. Hopefully I can include some pix.

This being my 1st taste of a Savage, I'm REALLY starting to yearn for a Classic or American Classic in 7mm-08!

Folically Challenged
Old 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM

Default RE: My 1st Savage! (So far, so good!)

I bought a SAV .300 win mag American Classic earlier in the year and have really enjoyed its function and accuracy as well. I also have a SAV 10ML-II muzzleloader as well and like it very much as well. Savage makes a good product.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:54 PM

I have a Savage 110 in 06 and love it. I am thinking about buying a model 93 in 17hmr for turkey season. You just can't beat a savage for out of the box accuracy. I would bet you get .5-.75" groups with yours at 50 yards. I seem to remember a roudup of high end .22's in a gun mag a few years agao. They included your gun, even though it is not a high end gun. It outshot the Marlin 880SQ, the Ruger 77MkII, and others. I think the only gun taht was as accurate was a kimber 22. People seem toi either love or hate the Savages. One of my hunting buddies has a Browning A bolt that cost him almost a grand. My Savage 110 was 225 used. Yet they are neck and neck for accuracy. Maybe the people who loves savages are those that own them and the people that hate them are those that don't own them
okcmco
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM

okcmco, I think you are probably right.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Out of about 30 or so Savage firearms, I have had two problems. On one, the scope base mounting holes were drilled out of line. On the other, it had a bad extractor. Both problems were fixed fast at no cost to me. I think Savage provides a product that is well worth the sportsmans hard earned dollars.