Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Copper Build Up

Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Copper Build Up

I shoot regular winchester power pointed bullets out of my 7600 rifle and i always get what looks like copper build up in the rifleing of my barrel.I clean it out but everytime i shoot it just keeps comin back...is this normal, should this be happening, is there a bullet i can shoot to stop this from happening?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Copper Build Up

Factory barrels can be pretty rough and some will never quit copper fouling. So, what you're experiencingis not abnormal at all.

BTW, what do you use to clean it out?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

You might need to put it though a good break-in. But they will about all foul up. My rifles seem to foul around 20-40rds. Some will sooner than others. How many shots before it starts?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Its me (7600 Rem) * I had to change my sn cause of difficultys.... Anyway i use Outers Foaming Boar Cleaner to remove the copper and it works great but i would rather not have to use it at all. It only takes about 5 shots and i can see it starting already...Is this damaging the rifleing in my barrel? Is it bad to leave it in my barrel for a whole season?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Remington55

Its me (7600 Rem) * I had to change my sn cause of difficultys.... Anyway i use Outers Foaming Boar Cleaner to remove the copper and it works great but i would rather not have to use it at all. It only takes about 5 shots and i can see it starting already...Is this damaging the rifleing in my barrel? Is it bad to leave it in my barrel for a whole season?
far as i know; it won't damage yer rifling.
i wouldn't leave it fouled fer more than a few weeks
(maybe during huntin season after ya sight in) then clean and oil b4 storage JMO

edit to add
i got some ammo in storage that i never used yet
its made by winchester; has a black coating on the bullets
(teflon i think)...the media made a big tadoo bout it bein evil ammo or some such non-sence...anyways the ammo is made fer huntin big-game..if its still made betya it won't copper foul yer bore.

early
Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 PM

If it's still shooting accurately, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Factory barrels can be a little rough surfaced and will show a lot of copper color.
The best and quickest copper solvent I know of is Barnes CR10. I don't use it very often.It de-copper's so well that I have to shoot a couple of fouler shots after using it.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

The brownish-gold color that you are seeing is normal. It won't hurt the accuracy after 100-130 rounds (depending on gun of course), but should be cleaned out regularly.