Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

357 Mag Pistol

Old 08-27-2006, 08:51 AM

Default 357 Mag Pistol

Trying to learn a little about this gun. If you have a .357 mag, can you shoot .38 specials (any grain or type) in this pistol? So they are freely interchangeable to shoot in the .357 mag? I'm thinking this is the gun I want for various purposes, hunting, protection, etc. May even shoot a deer with the right load.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:08 AM

Default RE: 357 Mag Pistol

If it's a revolver, yes they are drop in interchangable. It will chamber either round with no modifications. The sights may be off from one load to the other though.

Paul
Old 08-27-2006, 09:16 AM

When you say interchangeable, I assume you mean without having to change the cylinder, just drop in the .38's vs. the .357's?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, in fact you could mix and match rounds in the cylinder if you absolutely had to. The 357 revolver is pretty versatile. You can load anything from the tame 38 special target wadcutters and shoot for hours, or load upthe .357 magnum 180 grainers for heavy punch. Pretty decent. So, you going single or double action?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Give me some guidance here . . . what are the advantages and disadvantages of each (single vs double). I'm a little new with this. Have any advice on which brand and model to puchase, can't spend a ton.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the GP 100 Ruger makes it you can buy it for about $425.00
Old 08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: way bar

Give me some guidance here . . . what are the advantages and disadvantages of each (single vs double).
With double action you pull the trigger for every shot.
With single actionyou have to cock the hammer on every shot.
I'm a little new with this. Have any advice on which brand and model to purchase, can't spend a ton.
Here's a good one for the prize. It's a Rossi .357971 SS competition. I bought it about 10yrs ago for $325 New

Old 08-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

I'll add that with a double, you can also cock the hammer every shot or just pull the trigger. The single is a cock every time only though.
Just didnt want you to think a double was only pull the trigger.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

Just didnt want you to think a double was only pull the trigger.
Yes I am well aware! I should have mentioned that also in my post!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:23 PM

Unless you have a DAO gun (double action only) or a bobbed hammer.

I will go into a bit more detail while we are at it.

A double action will cock the hammer and rotate the cylinder while you are pulling the trigger. The mechanisms are linked together. That way if you have to get off a quick shot you can just draw the pistol and squeeze the trigger, and keep pulling for the next 5 shots. The down side is they have long, often heavy trigger pulls. Not real great for accuracy. A nice quality revolver will have a smooth long pull, a cheaper one may not feel so nice. I personally cannot stand a double action pull, but that is just me.

A single action (think ruger redhawk or old western style six shooters) requires you to pull the hammer back for every shot. The down side to this is you may have to change your hand position and re sight the weapon for every shot. More time consuming. The upside is they have much better trigger pulls which would help you shoot more accurate.

And most double action revolvers you can shoot in single action. You just pull the hammer before you shoot it. That is providing it has an exposed hammer. I believe some combat models don't have them, all the ones I have seen were smaller framed revolvers though made for concealed carry.

Paul

Quick Reply: 357 Mag Pistol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.