Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Opinions on FN and their FNP 9mm??

Old 07-20-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Opinions on FN and their FNP 9mm??

I haven't shot one, but I read some good things about the company. Anybody know anything about them and their pistols? The price is right, but it scares me.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:14 PM

Default RE: Opinions on FN and their FNP 9mm??

FN makes the m16 for the us military and most of the other support automatic weapons. Their plant is in Columbia, SC. Here is their website
http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/home.htm. They are the same company that makes the Browning Hi Power but here in the us for contract purposes. The other is in Belgium. Scroll down in this next link to see info about pistol contract awarded to police. The article is dated april the 11th, 2005.
http://www.fnherstal.com/html/NEWS.htm
Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:52 AM

I have been tempted myself to buy one. I have two of their tatical shotguns that I have been pleased with. Their handguns seem fairly well put togeather, fit and finish is good. Most models are identical to the Browning handguns (FN is Browning). Not bad for the price, plus most come with three mags. in the case rather then the typical one or two. Friend of mine is shooting with me Saturday, he just bought one in 9mm, I'll let you know what I thinkandhow well it did.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

My cousin just picked up an FN9 and is quite pleased with it. He said that the accuracy isn't quite as good as his Steyr M9, but it was still very adequate for a self-defense/carry pistol.

I handled and dry fired it a few times the last time I saw him. The fit and finish was very good, it balanced well. Hemounted a Streamlight TLR-2 on it, and once he finishes breaking it in, it'll make a nice addition to his home defense collection. FN doesn't make cheap, low quality weapons, and this is no exception despite the competitive pricing.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 PM

Shooting results:
Well I have to say after watching my buddy shoot his FN 9mm I had to give it a shot. He fired 100 rounds I did 50 with his pistol. No malfunctions of any kind, we used all three mags. included. Fired the cheap UMC ammo that Bass Pro sells in 500 round packs. We did have to adjust the sites, it fired about 2 1/2" to the right for both of us (at 15 yards). I used a brass punch and mallet as the sights on his were not truely adjustable but it worked out fine. The pistol did 5 shot groups in the 2 1/2" range @ 15yds and around 3 1/2" @ 25yds from a ransom rest, not bad. Free handed we managed the same groups + 1" or so. The sites were about as nice as any other, similar to Novak 3 dot sights. DA pull had lots o travel as expected, but felt fairly clean and smooth, not over harsh. SA pull still had more travel than I like (I am a 1911 guy myself) but still was smooth. On a 1 -10 scale for a self defense polymer type pistol I'll give it a 7+.

Good:
- Decocker option is nice
- Feed ramp is nicely polished (see later comment in bad)
- Low weight, no excessive recoil
- Mag. release seemed to be in a natural place
- $$$$ PRICE $$$$
- While long, the trigger pulls were smooth not gritty
- Accurate for this type of pistol
- Easy to take apart

Bad:
- No safety (if you like to have one it is not there)
- Feed ramp is steep, no malfunctions but this gun would not feed an empty casing like a Glock or a few others will.
- Trigger break felt "mushy" not crisp; but not horribly soin their defense
- Axis of gun sits a little high but nothing that you notice after 20 rounds
- Slide release is a little small for a defense gun but so are the Glock's!