Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

anybody use Browning A-bolt or Winchester 70 supershadow?

Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Default anybody use Browning A-bolt or Winchester 70 supershadow?

I think ive narrowed it down to one of these2 guns...probably in a30-06 or .308, just wondering how other peoples experiences with these guns have been...or if i should save a little more for a tikka or something
Old 07-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anybody use Browning A-bolt or Winchester 70 supershadow?

I have owned a couple of Abolts but could never warm up to a M70. And with Winchester going bankrupt I would seriously look at the Browning. Although they are both excellent rifles.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning A-bolt in 7mm Rem Mag, and it is probably my favorite bolt gun I own. I own Tikka, Remington, and Browning bolts at the moment. All shoot very well, but that 60 degree bolt lift, factory adjustable trigger, an smooth cycling (tikka is just as smooth) is what gives the Browning my head nod.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM

I own both. My model 70 is not a super shadow though. It is just the plain jane model 70 30-06 from wolly world before they came out with the super shadow. Both of my guns shoot half inch groups but the browning needed some gun smithing. Normaly I would say get a tried and true model 70 and save your self hundreds of dollars. But with winchester going under go for browning. They make a fine rifle.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned one A-bolt and never liked it much. The styling as much as anything elseturned me off. It never fit me right either, just didn't feel good in my hands when I held it. I ended up selling it to a friend who couldn't care lesswhat he shoots as long as it goes BANG! when he pulls the trigger. So, my advice is to shoulder the A-bolt several timesto make sure it feels okay to you before you decide to go that route.

I don't know much about the more recent Winchester offerings asI've been dieting on pre-'64's model 70's and Sakos in recent times. However, I do knowthe model 70 "classic" action wouldbe my preference over the A-bolt action any day of the week (though I must admit to being fond of the A-bolt's shorter bolt throw for the extra scope clearance it gives you).

If you've narrowed it down to the rifles you mentioned then I suppose you've already considered Ruger, Savage, Remington, etc. and decided not to go that route. So, I guess there's no need inwasting keystrokes discussing these.

But youdidalso mention Tikka. I haven't personally owned one, but I've heard good things about the current onesand I've personally seen how accurate the older Whitetail Hunter model was.You should certainly include this rifle in the mix before making a final decision.

Good luck. I hope you end up with something that suits you.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would favor the Browning by a far piece. I have A-Bolts and really like them.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never owned a model 70. And being a lefty, I haven't gotten one of their LH models. I have LH rifles by Remington, Savage, Rugerand Browning. TheBrowning is aMicro Hunter in 7mm-08. Its a nice rifle, easy to carry all day and accurate (now that I had it rebedded by a competent gnsmith). I like the 60 degree bolt throw and the detachable box magazine and the tang safety. In fact, I just ordered another Micro in 325 WSM. It should be in today. Going to mount a 3-9X Burris short mag scope on it. This should make a nice little packagebut at around 7 1/2 pounds will probably kick a might. Who cares right?
IMO - Get the Browning
Old 07-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would choose a tikka t-3 without hesitation.Actually cheaper than the other two and they must shoot a 5 shot 1" group before leaving the factory.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Browning A-Bolt and a Winchester M70 Classic, and I like the A-Bolt better. I like the shorter bolt throw, and the gun fits me a little better. It was also floated a little better. However, after a little work on the M70, it shoots as good as the Browning. Both will shoot under 1" with the right loads.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a suppershadow in 270 wsm , stainless , It is by far the most accurate gun I have ever owned , maybe Im lucky and got a good one , or maybe most of them are like mine , I dont know but I love it , I allso own a cz , which is basicly the same gun as the browning , made in the same factory ,in 30,06 Its very nice allso , but the winchester shoots rings around it , The cz cycles smoother , and form and funtion are probably higher quality IMO ,but for accuracy the winchester has lived up to the hype with the gun I recieved from them .

Quick Reply: anybody use Browning A-bolt or Winchester 70 supershadow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.