Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Smith & Wesson M & P (Military & Police) .40 cal.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by num8ber2003
some 1st generation sigma pistols made in 90's had problems.
Smith & wesson's 2nd generation sigma's although having a heavy
trigger pull are fine pistols. Accuracy can be improved by staging
trigger.....
Originally Posted by big uncle
i have an m&p. There are some pistols that are just as good, but none better. The m&p is currently my favorite pistol.
08-06-2006, 02:00 am
Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I had a M&P 40C and sold it. It experienced the magazine drop problem. I could shoot target rounds all day through it but as soon as I started shooting SD rounds that are higher powered, the mag would kick out. Sent it to S&W and all they did was change out the mag release. I had already changed it out twice before. I was not impressed with the gun or the answers I got from S&W. I started buying Glocks after and never looked back. I may buy another S&W revolver but I'll never buy another S&W semi auto pistol. I have heard that they made changes and improved but I'm not taking another chance.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have probably put two thousand rounds through mine, including stout loads, and have not had any problems at all. No mag problems (other than sore thumbs from loading them), no FTF, no FTE.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I have probably put two thousand rounds through mine, including stout loads, and have not had any problems at all. No mag problems (other than sore thumbs from loading them), no FTF, no FTE.
I've read that alot. I think they probably learned and corrected a few things by now. I had took out the mag spring and follower out the magazine, placed it in the gun with the slide off and could not even see the magazine catch with the magazine pushed to the far corner of the well. That little of the catch was holding it in there. I had asked S&W if they looked at that and if they measured the well. They didn't and said it wasn't nessary. That was where we disagreed. They had sent me two mag catches before I sent them the gun and all they did was replace it again. They said if there was a problem with the well, then they would have to replace the whole gun and didn't want too because it was a hassle. My gun was not the only one to have the same problem, yet some guns never experienced it. Personally I think they had some bad frame molds that caused it all, that's just my speculation.

Also another problem early on was the spring that held the mag catch was WEAK. I've had the magazine come unlatched while holstered. That was another thing they refused to do anything about so I made a new spring and replaced it myself which worked a lot better. They sent me two free magazines for my troubles. LOL! They fell out too. I know a lot of people like them but for me it was a bad experience. I think they should have replaced the gun but they refused so I replaced it with a Glock.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Detailed gun info

Check out this website with incredible photos and detailed gun info
www.gunsumerreports.com
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Spike

I recently purchased a M&P 40. Have not had opportunity to shoot yet. I am curious as to wheather I will experience magazine problems. I noticed a small gap where the mag seats at base of mag well. I going to look at some other M&P's to see if they have the gap also.
Can't wait to get to range and try her out. Will report back with results when I it get back.....

Number 8