Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage 7MM08

Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Savage 7MM08

I just bought a new Savage 7MM08 with accutrigger, haven't shot it yetbut was just wondering, other than cleaning barrel before shooting, what else is recommended for new gun break in? If anybody has one, how do you like it and what kind of groups are you getting at 100yds?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage 7MM08

I own a Savage 116 in the 7mm-08 that I use for long-range woodchuck hunting,500+ yards! Other than a good cleaning and barrel break-in,it should be a accurate gun...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you understand what PaJack is saying? If he's shooting groundhogs @ 500+ yds. with his, can you imagine what kind of groups he gets at 100 yds.? Those 7-08's are fantastic shooters once you find out what to feed them. Sounds like you've got a lot of potential there.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

i have a savage 7mm-08. Great gun. Just shoot it, it will be fine. very accurate.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Banned

Here you go, right off of their website.

[align=center]FAQs: Barrel Break-In Procedure[/align]

Q. What is the barrel break-in procedure?
A. Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:
STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)
[ul][*][size=2 align="left"]Fire one round[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore[/size] [/ul]
STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)
[ul][*][size=2 align="left"]Fire a 3 shot group[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group[/size] [/ul]
STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)
[ul][*][size=2 align="left"]Fire a 5 shot group[/size][*][size=2 align="left"]Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1[/size] [/ul]
They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible
HCH
Old 07-12-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks for all the response and the tips for breaking in the barrel. I only wish i could hit a woodchuck at 500 yds. The gun i'm sure is capable but i don't think i am. I just want a tight group out to 250 yds for these Alabama whitetails. They are just a little bigger than a woodchuck and i think i can hit one of them.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:26 PM
bigcountry

Don't want to step on peoples toes. But breakin is not just a procedure. Alot of people think its just following a bunch of steps. Some barrels can't be broke in. Too rough. Other quality made barrels can. Every barrel is an individual.Shoot a shot, then clean, do this until you don't get copper fouling after one shot. Then shoot 3 shots, then clean, do this until it no longer copper fouls badly at 3 shots, move up to 5 shot groups and then 10 shot groups. If you shoot 1 shot clean and do this 10 times and its copper fouling, the barrel is rough and no amount of breakin is going to get the job done.

what should happen is a smoother bore that fouls less. If you clean out the copper every range session, same thing can happen over time of 200 shots or so. Every barrel manufacture can explain this if you ask, but put the procedure out there for simplicity.

I have chrono'd loads, and have seen the velocity spreads go down, and down with each string. Out of the box, however velocity spreads can be as high as 200fps in bad cases.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Pajack what bullets and powder you useing for those 500 yd shots.Don't have a savage but have a remington classic that shoots very well.Been useing IMR 4350 with hornady 120's but tried some varget yesterday and it shot very good and was very fast.Averaged 3179 fps.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

herman,I use 48.0 of ReLoader 15,CCI 200 primers and Speer 110gr. TNT bullets. I worked on this combo for week's to get the accuracy I needed for the "long-shots"...
Old 07-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info,was curious.I can just shoot up to 300.The 120 does real good up to there.

Quick Reply: Savage 7MM08

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.