Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Problems with Remington Corelockt?

Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 AM

Default RE: Problems with Remington Corelockt?

Yes the Remington CoreLokts are excellent killers. Unfortunately I cannot get the 100gr PSPCLsto group under 2" frommy Remington 700 SPS-S 243, nor the 150gr and 180gr PSPCLs to group under 2.5" from Ruger M77 30-06.

Sierra 85gr HPBT tackhole out the 243. Woodleigh 180gr Weldcores and Nosler 180gr AccuBonds shoot 0.5" out of the 30-06.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been sitting here trying to recall if I've ever shot a Corelokt in my life and I don't think I ever have. I know I haven't used them since I started reloadingsome 7 or 8 years ago. Before that I used nothing but factory Federal Premiums with Nosler Partitions. I might have used them in the 70's when I first started shooting centerfire rifles, but I don't think so. At this point in time with all the excellent bullets out there I see no reason to start using themnow.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
bigcountry

you got to be kidding me solitary. Out in the boon docks of eastern ky, only thing you could get was coreloks from k-mart in Pikeville, ky. And besides, I was so broke, I couldnt' pay attention back then, and I didn't know any better, and shot the cheapest I could find. I remember when I bought my first pistol in the 80's, I had to have these fancy hydroshoks. So I drove to Charleston, WV over 2 hours away to get them.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Very true BigCountry, I never liked remington ammo but shure have shot a lot of it. Guess I don't regret it but try to avoid it!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I'mnot a real fan of remington brass myself. But the topic is core lokt bullets. So far I have never encountered a problem with the elk,deer, and bear that I have seen taken with them. Bones or meat so far bullet pretty much just a mushroom and intact.

I would go as far to say that the remington core lokt kills more game everyyear than any other bullet. Why? As Bigcountry said Wal-Mart and Kmart are everywhere. And alot of guys don't get picky about loads they just go hunting. Some of us expect the best out of our loads and strive to spend the extra dollar to make that happen.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

you got to be kidding me solitary. Out in the boon docks of eastern ky, only thing you could get was coreloks from k-mart in Pikeville, ky. And besides, I was so broke, I couldnt' pay attention back then, and I didn't know any better, and shot the cheapest I could find. I remember when I bought my first pistol in the 80's, I had to have these fancy hydroshoks. So I drove to Charleston, WV over 2 hours away to get them.
Well, the first rifle I used for deer hunting was my grandfathers old 1891 Mauser and the only company making the 7.65x53mm ammo for it (still today I think) was Norma. Luckily the local hardware store in my hometown of Charleston, Mississippi (pop. approx. 2,000)was able toorder it for me. Norma didn't use Corelokts in their ammo as far as I know. Then around '79 or so I bought a Browning BBR in 7mm mag and having done some research I decided on the Partition. And that's the only bullet I used all the way through the mid 90's when I got sure nuff serious about guns. When I got into reloading the Corelokts never crossed my mind, but I've tried a lot of other bullets.