Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

AR style Varmint/Target Rifles

Old 06-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Default AR style Varmint/Target Rifles

Okay, guys, I need some help from one of you who has a bit more experience than me.... After using the AR-15 A2/3 series at work for the last twenty three years, I think it's time I tried an AR for varmints. Although I shoot mostly 'chucks, I thought this might be a good choice for those times when I'm attacked by multiple coyotes, over my decoy & calls. I can get one of those Bushmaster Varmint or Varmint Special rifles, for the same money. By my eye, the one gives you a heavy bull chro/moly barrel, and the other gives you a standard but stainless bbl., and the "adjustable tactical pistol grip". Any advice? Other choices I should be looking at?
My Mini-14 shoots 1 1/2" with only a trigger job, but the 1" groups fromthe box-stockA3 HBAR (belongs to the Department, so I can't bring it home) make me wonder about the possibilities. Any hands-on opinions?

Old 06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AR style Varmint/Target Rifles

Noone could give me an m M16 or a commercial variant due to my military experience, but I will give them their due... lots of yote hunters use them. The vets I know that hunt with them get pretty good groups. The 223 is one helluva varmint round.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

I have a RRA .223 EOP that will put 5 bullets in one ragged whole at 100 yds. AMAZING accuracy.
HCH[/align]

Old 06-16-2006, 08:13 PM

Alright, so call me ignorant; My experience is with Colt, Olympic, Harrington & Richardson, DPMS, etc., all while an Armorer in the 133rd Maint. Bn. of theArmy Natn'l Guard, and all M-16 A1/A2 profiles. The only ARs I know are the Colts we use at work.
What is an "RRA .223 EOP", and where can I get a peek at one? Yours looks to be a flat-top, free-floated bbl, alum. tube hand guard. How long is the bbl, and what profile is it? If you were to replace it, what changes would you like to have? Any suggestions you might have?

Old 06-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

RRA = Rock River Arms
EOP = Elevated Optical Platform
http://www.rockriverarms.com

Like hardcore I also used an AR15 for varmints at one time. I had a Rock River Arms 16" varmint upper, with a National Match lower half. It would put 5 shots into a ragged hole if you wanted it to. I never did much target shooting/load testing with it. I found that it liked 52gr Ultramax HPs and thats what I shot out of it.

I will tell you one thing, if there are multiple coyotes coming, they will not get away.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Mine is a 24'' bbl. RRA is a high quality gun IMO
HCH[/align]
Old 06-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Bushmaster Stainless Varmint Special w/Leupold 6.5-20 VXIII and it is very accurate. A little heavy carrying from spot to spot but when you dial in on one, he's a goner.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rammer

RRA = Rock River Arms
EOP = Elevated Optical Platform
http://www.rockriverarms.com

Like hardcore I also used an AR15 for varmints at one time. I had a Rock River Arms 16" varmint upper, with a National Match lower half. It would put 5 shots into a ragged hole if you wanted it to. I never did much target shooting/load testing with it. I found that it liked 52gr Ultramax HPs and thats what I shot out of it.

I will tell you one thing, if there are multiple coyotes coming, they will not get away.

BTW; that pic is every time I see it Rammer. Should be on the cover of a magazine
HCH[/align]
Old 06-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Has anyone checked out the new Bushmaster Predator? Here's the link.
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwvms20fpred8.asp

Seems to me it would be a good "out of the box" set up for coyote. I'm considering getting one myself.

firstshot
-----------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the compliment hardcore. I agree, someone should publish that pic I am still kickin myself for selling that gun, but at least I know it has a good home right now.