Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

short range caliber

Old 06-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: short range caliber

I totally agree with the state round hdw. I have seen some real monster bucks fall to that round.One of my friends shoots a 150 in" buck almost every year with one , never mounts it just puts there racks on a shelf in his shop. I am talking about two or three 170in plus,what a waste.Oh well thats each and everyones right I guess.I havent shot mine for years just cant stop shooting my swift, I hope I can tho~ I am going to need a new barrel soon.When are you coming in to Mo. next?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 PM

i've never owned a lever action, but always wanted one. any recommendations for a lever in 30-30? I like the Marlin 336SS, seems to be in a decent price range ($300-500).
Old 06-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a lever action you can not beat a Marlin 336.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm confused........ not hard to do anymore......... I thought from the original post that he wanted a caliber smaller than the .280 for deer hunting in his location, not necessarily a less powerful round. If that's the case, I would have to recommend the old .257 Roberts, or perhaps a .260 Rem. The .243 would be my third choice, but that's just my opinion
I f I got it wrong, then I'd have to recommend the old 30-30 in a nice lever action of your choice. Been killin' deer for over 100 yrs, so they have...............
Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are what I'd call strictly shorter range calibers like the 30-30, and there are good "lighter" calibers like the .243 or .257, that are not neccesarily "short range" calibers!
So, my question is what is it you are looking for? If its really lighter recoil, I'd go with anything from the .243 on up to the 7MM-08!
Unless I'm bow or handgun hunting, I don't like to limit my range, even if 95% of the shots will be short, 'cause there ain't no such thing as a "brush buster!"
As I've said before,"you can make a short shot with a long range caliber, but you can't make a long shot with a short range caliber!"
Old 06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 243 is enormously popular because hunters get on target quick, kill deer and the ammo is not prohibitive in cost. Marlins are fine lever rifles and if you don't need 300 yards range, you don't have to buy into it. The 30-30 is time proven. Also, Marlin has lever actions in .32, .357, 44 & 45 pistol calibers that will get out to 100. The only one I am not sure about is their 32 H&R Magnum rifle as I have not seen ballistics on that round in a rifle barrel, and I am not sure how humane a killer it would be on deer.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

30-30
Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 PM

how bouta muzzle loader ?

maybe a T/C contender or carbine in 30-30, 243, or pistol cal's ?

maybe a handi rifle in a light cal ?

maybe a shotgun with slugs ? the modern ones er sposed ta be tack drivers.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 PM

i suppose my original inquiry has created some tangents or evolved into more questions from me. less recoil isn't my main concern, but i would like a round that will have the best expansion at a range less than 100 yds. the longest shot on the property is roughly 140 yds.

i've completed one season on the property and we haven't quite found the deer's pattern. i've spotted dear from as close as 30 yds and as far as 100 yds. a rifle that will fit this range comfortably is what i'm looking for.

the deer i harvested this past season i took with my 280 at 60 yds, but it felt to me as "too much rifle" (if that makes any sense) for that distance. i have my eye on hangun hunting after i get a couple more seasons under my belt.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Well then a lever gun in 30-30, or even 35 rem, or in a pistol caliber woulld be fine. Not minding recoil? Then you can opt for 45-70, 444 Marlin or the like, but they can kick like a mule.

It's a bit more in price. (ok, quite a bit if new) but you can try outa T/C Contender or Encore Carbine.Several calibers to chose from, with the added benefitthatthey can be switched out to pistols when you are ready for it. I got my Contender pistol frame (not a G2) for $150 used, and a used barrel for $100 (if I remember right). New barrels are going to cost you anything from $200+ to $250, pistol or carbine, and a carbine stock is $50 and up.
I have mine in .22LR and 30-30 in 10" pistol barrels and a 7mm TCUin the carbine. I way even thinking of picking up a used 45-70 ported carbine barrel that was at a local shop. (and 'cause I like the big thunder, kicked by a mule, make everyone at the range say "what the heck was that!" type of guns)

And I have to admit I am partial to single shots. Makes you pick and chose your target more and it's (almost) all that I use anymore.

Quick Reply: short range caliber

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.