Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Muzzle Breaks ???'s

Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzle Breaks ???'s

No sir!The muzzle jump at the same time as the bullet is leaving the barrel.Therefore the muzzle pointed up above the target without a boss.
So how do you explain the fact that the point of impactcan be the same for a rifle with and without a muzzle brake?If you were correct this would not be possible.It is also very normal for the group size to be the same with and without a muzzle brake.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Northernforest
You take a .375 H&H mag and you put a Boss System to reduce recoil.
Not to be a stickler, but, You don't put on a BOSS System on and the BOSS does a couple things. One, it does serve as a brake but more importantly is, two, the BOSS is designed to adjust the harmonics in the barrel. A brake only reduces the recoil and can be removed.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 PM

The BOSS comes off just the same as a break (unscrews) and I have installed them on a couple rifles. All it is is a muzzle break with a locking collar behind it so it can be adjusted as to how far it protrudes off the end of the barrel and then locked in place. Mostly I've just cut them off the end of customer's barrels, or replaced the whole barrel and thrown them away when a person comes in complaining about the increased muzzleblast and noise.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

The angle we are talking is a lift of 2 inches or so.When you shight in your gun it automaticly adjusts for the problem.Think about looking down your scope the cross hairs are on the bullseye but really the scope is set 2 inches low for example in this case.With biger calibers with more muzzle jump the jump may be 3 inches or more.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The angle we are talking is a lift of 2 inches or so.When you shight in your gun it automaticly adjusts for the problem.Think about looking down your scope the cross hairs are on the bullseye but really the scope is set 2 inches low for example in this case.With biger calibers with more muzzle jump the jump may be 3 inches or more.
You did not answer my question so I will repeat it.If the muzzle brake reduces muzzle lift and the barrel is lifting under recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel,the point of impact should be lower with a muzzle brake.So how is it possible that the same gun will have the same point of impact if you add or remove the muzzle brake?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Putting on a muzzle break or boss will take the jump out of the barrel, which will make your bullet go strait then decline when it leaves the barrel and not up then start a decline which is where you see you accuracy go up.This will also make the you shoot the gun better becuse you will not have a gun that wants to jump out of your hands.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You stilldid not answer my question so I will repeat it one more time.

If the muzzle brake reduces muzzle lift and the barrel is lifting under recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel,the point of impact should be lower with a muzzle brake.So how is it possible that the same gun will have the same point of impact if you add or remove the muzzle brake?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM

stubblejumper, that tree's empty, quit barking at it! You're right, the muzzle doesn't rise until after the projectile is gone. That's why point of impact doesn't change whether there's a muzzle break on it or not. Otherwise people with the Brockman's break that you can close would have to resight everytime they opened or closed the break.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just find it entertaining to see how mant times a person can avoid answering a question,because they know that if they try,they will just prove themselves wrong.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I just find it entertaining to see how mant times a person can avoid answering a question,because they know that if they try,they will just prove themselves wrong.
Ditto!!

Quick Reply: Muzzle Breaks ???'s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.