Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Spartan Over/Unders by Remington?

Old 10-02-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Spartan Over/Unders by Remington?

Hey guys anyone have an opinion on them? Thanks,
Old 10-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Spartan Over/Unders by Remington?

Haven't shot one, but handled one in the store. They are not real easy on the eye, in terms of fit and finish. However, the lockup seems real good. Theyappear to bevery similar to other economy shotguns made in Russia and the Balkans. Good workhorse hunting guns that you aren't afraid toexpose to a little mud or rain
Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 PM

Do a search for Baikal shotguns. This is the name they have been flying under before remington contracted with them. Over on some other rabbit hunting forums I visit, i Hear nothing but good things about these shotguns. besides stoegers, these are about the only budget doubles around.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Spike

sorry this is not a answer to your question but I have been wondering about the spartan single shot rifles. if anyone has any experience with these rifles, I would like your comments. thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are made by Baikal. That company has been around for many years and the guns are good value. Many don't realize that they also produce high end stuff. A friend of mine has a matched 2 barrel set bought about 20 years ago that would likely retail for at least 3 grand now. I have also seen high grade stuff from them that is second to none but very little of that stuff was imported to North America.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have been looking at these. I missed out on a deal the first time I saw one. I had some time to kill and stopped in at a local sporting goods store. They were on the last day of a sale that had the Spartan 12 gauge O/U listed at $299. I had never heard of them so was unsure of the quality. I didn't buy it but wish I had. When I put it up to my shoulder the first time, the sight picture was perfect and it felt natural. The store clerk told me they go on sale on a regular basis but I've never seen it on sale since then. If I do catch it on sale I will probably get one.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Bought one late 2004 intended forspare gun, never used it until 4 weeks ago bacause my rifle was under maintenance. The firing pin failed having a deer 300 feet aprox. Took it back to store (retailers guarantee worked fine). The pin was replacedand ready for test this week. Looked at internet and found several users complaining about same problem. Also, same users admitting after replacement no more problems. Problem due to manufacturing mistake using pin from IZH-27 O/U which is slightly larger.

Also have IZH27 O/U since 2002, never had any single problem.

After Remington took them under spartan brand price raised 40% aprox.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

I've never shot one, but some that I've handled in stores have a very stiff action, way too stiff IMO.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM

I have one of the single shots in 20 ga. I got it for my girlfriend. It works, but to be honest I wish I would have got a H&R/NEF instead. I got the youth model as well.

Some of the O/U are pretty nice though, but quite a bit more expensive than what I purchased.

Paul
Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 AM

I love the feel in the hands. The side/sides fit me like a glove. The stocks on the over/unders tend to be a tad short and not enough drop. This of course can be overcome. In the field they shoot well but are just way too stiff for my liking and never seemed to limber one bit. No longer belong to me. The side/sides are a real deal and if someone would take the thing apart and do some polishing they would come around. I heard of a fellow that put valve grinding compound and toothpaste in the action of one and sat for many evenings working it while watching TV and according to him it smoothed right up. Didn't see the gun after the fact so I can't say for sure.

Overall Good buy for money but STIFF

Quick Reply: Spartan Over/Unders by Remington?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.