Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Spartan Over/Unders by Remington?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spartan Over/Unders by Remington?

Ya can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.....the least costly O/U I'd recommend to anyone is the SKB 505.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The side/sides are a real deal and if someone would take the thing apart and do some polishing they would come around. I heard of a fellow that put valve grinding compound and toothpaste in the action of one and sat for many evenings working it while watching TV and according to him it smoothed right up. Didn't see the gun after the fact so I can't say for sure.
I did the same thing on my side by side and it is really smooth now. The only problem I've had is a spring that pushes the trigger forward to switch to the other barrel after you fire. All it needs is a little stiffer spring.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Goose_Getter

I have two of the Biakal's - one is a field grade the other is a sporting model... I am not really a bird hunter - I bought them to shoot trap with...

Both of them have really worked well and I have put a lot of boxes through them. I have had one problem the Sporting gun - one of the extractors broke and I had to replace it. No problem getting the part but since each gun is somewhat hand made - the replacement part had to fashioned to fit - not a problem - but the guns are not off an assembly line with uniform parts.

Access to all the operating parts is not difficult and it really is a very simple design.Chokes are redily available from serveral sources. I get mine from:

http://www.mpcsports.com/

The wood on the sporting model does have character....

It certainly is not a top of the line gun but it is effective...

Old 08-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Spike

I picked up one of these last year. It was flawless from the getgo and while the action was stiff, after a few hundred rounds, it smoothed out a good deal. Alas... it was a casualty of my divorce late last year and I'm without it now. Replacing it is DEFINITELY on my list. I had the Baikal IZH27 O/U. I think next time I'll try the side/side.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Lousy wood and poorly finished metal wouldn't want one for staking up tomatoes.You get what you pay for...Harold
Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pioneer2

The two that I have, I certainly wood not call them "lousy" wood. I am sitting here looking atthe wood on the 27 and the wood on a Remington 870 - think I would take the Baikal.

Fit, they are not a fancy fit - I would agree with that but they certainly are functional. The 27 has chrome lined barrels and it is ported - but the ports are drilled straight not angled.

As for shooting, I am not a great trap shooter, to old and to slow, but I shoot 94 of 100 with them on good days and no less that 90 of 100. And again trap shooting I do put a lot of rounds through them, but they are trap lads not hunting loads...