Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

45-70 ?

Old 08-28-2005, 07:00 AM

Default 45-70 ?

well theymade the 45-70 legal to hunt with during the primitive season here in MS. using metalic cartidge with smokless powder. Do any of ya'll shoot the 45-70, and if you do whatfactory cartidge does the best at100 to 200 yards.And can you make up a reload that would do better maybe using a lighter bullet,all i seen was a cartidge of 300gr or bigger.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 45-70 ?

I could'nt believe it, so I went and checked. Wow!

[hr]

This an approved list that we have for the new public notice on the breechloading sigle shot rifles, kind or type manufactured before 1900 with an exposed hammer, .38 cal or larger.

This list is by no means exclusive. This is just a list comprised of commonly available rifles.

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE PRIMATIVE WEAPONS:

Sharps rifles or replicas
Reminton Rollingblock rifles or replicas
Ballard rifles
Maynard rifles or replicas
Burnside carbines
Frank Wesson rifles
Remington Hepburn rifles
M1873-1888 Springfield (trapdoor) Rifles and Carbines and replicas
Snider (British) rifles or replicas
Wesson & Harrington 1871 Rifles
New England Firearms or Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles
Winchester M1885 Hi Wall or Lo Wall rifles or replicas (Also Browning B78 or 1885)

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE NOT PRIMATIVE WEAPONS!!!!

Ruger Number 1 and Number 3 (no exposed hammer)
Thompson Center Contender or Encore Carbines (designed after 1900)
Mossberg SSi Single Shot Rifle (no exposed hammer and designed after 1900)
Old 08-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a nef/ h&r buffalo classic 32in. tube. I just love to shoot this gun its has alot of power for one of the oldest. If I was you I would stick with PMC 300 gr rounds they are about in the middle of the power range for factory loads. But if you want to beef it up alittle try some buffalo bore or garrett bullets. they will rock your world .Just make sure your rifle can handle them. That could be very bad for your rifle or you.The remington 405 gr are the best ones to start with to just get you going. They have the least amout of power from the ones i have shot.
The 200 yard shot you are talking about would be hard to do unless you practice alot. I can shoot that far pretty good but it has come from lots of bench time. This is a very good round for deer and you will find between 0-150 yards its hard to beat.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Who in their right mind would consider a Sharps rifle a primative weapon? Especially when it uses a metallic cartridge with smokeless powder.

And then they say that a handi rifle is a primitave weapon but not a TC. What the heck is the difference?????? A handi rifle fires the same cartridges as the TC and uses the same break open design.

And to use 1900 as the "primitave" cut off date. Yeah. like 1900 was anywhere close to being a primative time. Heck, internal combustion engines and automobiles were invented and experimented with as early as the 1600's.

And going by the 1900 cut off date then the 30-30, 30-40 Kraig, 6.5X55, 6.5X50 Jap, 7X57, and a bunch of oterhs should also be legal for "primitive" weapons season. And so should the mauser rifles such as the 98, 96, etc, Winchester 94's, Marlins levers, Savage 99, and a host of other "primitive" but modern rifles

What was their cryteria for being a primative weapon?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

BB, DITTO!
Old 08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are in Mississippi (I don't think rhinos have migrated there) then I reckon any factory cartridge 300 grain bullets or more will leave a blood trail that Helen Keller could follow. The factory rounds are a bit nerfed but then, what can gracefully survive a 45 caliber round digging in to it at rifle velocities? If you are concerned about needing more pounce, I would check out Buffalo Bore and Garrett cartridges. I have a Ruger #1 in 45 70 these days and it is a delight to shoot.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls,

Along those lines, how the hack do they justify allowing in-line muzzleloaders, and smokeless powder cartridges, but not inline muzzleloaders using smokeless powder.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

The .45-70 is a dandy old cartridge. Handloaders can really juice it up in modern rifles like the Marlin 1895. Factory ammo is loaded down considerably to avoid blowing up the older guns that can't take the pressure.
If you do handload for the .45-70 be sure to read all the precautions both in the loading manuals and from your weapon's manufacturer.
My last black bear was taken with a Remington 300 gr and at about 50 yds, looked like it drove the bugger about 3 ft sideways, got up, tried to run and rolled down the hillside DOA.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't say what they had in mind but it looks by reading the list that its single shot breech loading rifles designed before 1900 which all the listed ones are. The exposed hammer thing must leave out the Rugers. I wish they would do that where I hunt. However If its a black powder season then only black powder should be used. Some states call it a black powder season, some call it a primitive season and others call it a muzzzle loader season which should allow any rifle that loads from the muzzles regardless of powder type.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

JC, I don't know. This is one of the stupidest regulations I have ever heard of.

How in the world did this regulation ever pass? Not to mention what idiot thought this one up?

"Kind or type manufactured before 1900."
But todays replica rifles are made of modern steel and are capeable of handling much stronger loadings then were available pre-1900. So it's ok to use a completely modern rifle with powerful modern cartridges so long as it still looks like the original??????? The vast majority of deer killed are killed with a single shot so why not allow every rifle designed before 1900? The single shot has very limited disadvantages and some people find no disadvantage to them at all and actually prefer them over a repeating rifle.

Hell why have a "primitive" weapons season at all any more now that we are allowing centerfire rifles?

It has been proven many times over that the 45-70 out of rifles such as the Sharps and replicas are capeable of taking buffalo at ranges beyond 1000 yards and now they are sudedenly "primitive weapons" ??????? Hell, they even used scopes on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.