Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Choices choices... .22LR

Old 08-25-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Choices choices... .22LR

I got so carried away talking about my .25-06 I forgot to ask you guys... I'd appreciate any opinions from you.
I've just had .22 calibre added to my Firearm Certificate so I'mon the verge of buying my first .22LR for Rabbit. I'm thinking Semi-auto at the moment.What fewguys over here that use Semi's at all for Rabbit seem to have Ruger 10/22's but I'm veering towards the Remy 597 I think it's called, in synthetic stock.
I need accuracy out to perhaps 80 yds maybe less but100 would be nice though. Anyone of you Shooters had experience with either of these rifles? Good or Bad I mean? If so then please do tell all.
I have a friend who owns a Ruger 10/22 Semi (moderatedand using subsonic ammo)and I find that a pretty reliable device on the 100yd range. Is the Remy as good or indeed better.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Choices choices... .22LR

I have owned three 10/22's and have had a lot of success with all of them. With factory stock and lite barrel, they don't shoot THAT well at 100 yds, but they may be able to get the job done. Having said that, i havent owned one of the customized 10/22's or factory 10/22T's with the bull barrell. From my understanding these guns should give the kind of accuracy your wanting.

I have no experience whatsoever with the 597, in fact i dont even know anybody who has one. The 10/22's are so popular around here that 90% of hunters and shooters use them. I know hunting rabbits your definetely leaning toward a semi, but if you have thought about a bolt .22, look at the CZ's. I have a cz in .17 hmr and it is the most accurate rimfire i have ever owned. I'll soon be buying a cz .22lr with a bull barrell. These are excellent guns that i believe will outshoot a ruger 77/22 or remington 504 any day of the week.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 AM

I think you are going to be pushing a .22 at 80-100 yards. You might get one that shoots well at that distance, but then you might not. And there will be a considerable amount of drop to it as well.

If you want an ultra accurate auto the 10/22 would be the way to go since there are so many aftermarket upgrades for it. I would also consider a Henry lever action. I had one and it was great. Silky smooth action and very accurate. Like 1 inch groups at 100 yards off from a bench. Not saying they will all do that though, and that was with a 16 power scope and adjustable objective.

I think you would be better off with a .17 HMR depending on what you want to do with it. They shoot way flatter and are VERY accurate out of the box for 200 bucks and a scope. They do a lot of damge to meat though. Of course they have different ammo now that is not as explosive. The draw back is they are expensive to shoot. More than 3 times as much as standard .22 ammo.

Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 01:39 PM

The 10/22 is the best rimfire rifle in the world. I have shot marlin, stevens, ar-7, ruger simi-automatic rimfires and the 10/22 out performs them by a long shot.
its been a proven rifle for over 40 years. personelly i have put over 10,000 rounds through mine and it hasn't jammed yet. all the others jammed after 200 rounds.
By the way a 10/22 can shoot 100 yards easy.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 PM

I have shot quite a few 10/22's that were junk. Didn't cycle well and were not accurate at all out of the box. In my opinion they are over priced for what they are stock. However they are very easy to modify because there is so much available. I would not call them the best .22 in the world by a long shot. Maybe the most popular, but not the best. My 180 dollar Henry was better than any 10/22 I have ever shot.

Sure they can shoot 100 yards easily, of course that depends on what you call easy. But will they do it accurately and what is your deffinition of accurate. A hundred yards is pushing it with any .22 as far accuracy goes in most cases. You really have to find the right ammo and wind really effects your shots. Not to mention the amount of drop you get at that range compared to 50 yards. It is really not a 100 yard round.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. For bunnies it might work. They are not that hard to kill depending on the species. All depends on how well the gun groups at that range and how you do with hold over.

Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 PM

10/22 are a long ways from being junk. like i said i have shot over 10,000 rounds with mine and no jams. As far as a easy shot goes i can shoot pop cans at 100 yards with no modification to the gun except for adding a 4 power scope.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:24 PM

I didn't say they were all junk, and that was really poor wording on my part. I have seen quite a few that were not that impressive though. I had a 80 dollar Marlin model 60 that was very accurate and never missed a beat either when I was younger. I still know the guy that owns it now. I wouldn't call it the best rimfire in the world though. Certainly one of the better values.

Consider yourself lucky with your .22 and how well it shoots at 100 yards, although simply hitting a pop can is not my idea of good groups. However some .22's would have trouble grouping the size of a pop can at 100 yards. You must be a decent shooter as well considering there is about 7 inches of drop at that range with most .22 rounds. More with subsonic ammo

I would not expect that sort of performance with most .22's on the market, be it a 10/22 or otherwise. It can happen, but then it might not either. Especially with a siliencer and sub sonic rounds. I can actually see a subsonic round hit the target at 100 yards.

It is really just a matter of opinion I guess. I have not seen the same things you have though.

Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 80 dollar Marlin model 60 that was very accurate and never missed a beat
That's my choice as well.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sargeant Bang First of all welcome to the forum.

I'd have to go with the Ruger 10/22.Like mentioned there are tons of aftermarket accessories for the Ruger's.The Marlin Model 60's(Glenfield) I saw my share of them with problems years ago when I workedat a gunshop.The Marlins have to be kept real clean to function properly.Even then I saw them with problems.
The Remington 597. Hmmm?? If you look into the achives on this forum you'll read enough to make you change your mind.To save you the trouble looking. I would suggest you steer clear of the 597's. Triggers are terrible. Several have complained of FTF. The best value for your money would have to be the Ruger's 10/22's.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-25-2005, 08:28 PM

marlin or ruger 10/22

Quick Reply: Choices choices... .22LR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.