Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What makes the 7400 SO in accurate?

Old 07-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What makes the 7400 SO in accurate?

my 742 in 308 is awesome accurate and the 7600 in 30-06 is near tack.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about inaccurate. Most of them should hold less than a 2" group at 100 yards and many will shoot less than that.

However, simply by shooting them you are tearing them up. It's just the way that they are built. The 740's & 742's were real bad about this. The 7400's are much better but they still beat themselves up when the action cycles. I have seen a couple of 7400's and many more 740's and 742's that were real bad. The bolt head had beaten itself into the slide rails so badly that they looked like a serrated steak knife.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 PM

I've got an older 742 Woodsmaster .30-06 and it shoots 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards with 180 gr. Failsafe bullets. That's plenty accurate for anything I would want one for.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

To answer your question the 7600's advantage over the 7400 is that the barrel is free floating on the 7600 and this aids in consistency. I had a 7600 a few years ago that was a real tack driver. It loved the old Remington load of a 120 gr. HP in the 280 Rem. This load has long been discontinued and the rifle was a decent shooter with 140 gr. Power Points but this load has also been discontinued. I traded the rifle for a bolt gun. I'm not a big fan of pumps.

I think alot of the inaccuracy reports of the 7400 are due to the poor triggers that come on this gun and most people that I know buy a couple of different boxes of ammo and go and shoot a group. If they can't cover 3 shots with a nickel they begin bad mouthing the gun. I had an uncle that had a 740 in 308 that would hold its own with about anything firing his handloads. He used the rifle for nearly 20 years until his death with no problems. He owned a number of bolt guns but for deer he usually picked up the old 308.

Take your rifle out and shoot it and see for yourself. You may be very surprised if you can learn to manage the trigger well.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

Bigbulls, you and i have discussed this before. Could you point me where to check for damage on the rails? Can it be felt or seen by taking out the trigger assembly? I have felt around but never found any dents or cuts onthe rails that the bolt slides on. I have well over 500 rounds thru this gun and figure it would be a prime canidate for this damage. I figured I am not looking in the right place. The last 150 rounds has beenwarmhandloaded rounds also with slower powder like 4350 also.

One thing I warneveryone, both the triggers on the 7600 and 7400 really suck. And very hard toadjust. I have had myexperience with stoning triggers and learned its not my cup of tea on semi's. But my gunsmith wants over 100 dollars to adjust to a decent level.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 7400 in .243. I use Remington corelocks and get 2 inch groups at 100 yards.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

BC, on the older guns the rail that runs along the side of the receiver near the back at the point where the bolt head stops. At this point the bolt head will over rotate and dig into the rail. When its closed look through the slot that the bolt handle slides through. Or just take out the trigger assembly.

On the 7400's it takes many many many more rounds fired but look at the top of the receiver where the lugs slide through and also along the same rail as the older versions (it will be smaller).

At 500 rounds you will probably not see anything especially if you have a newer 7400. The older 740's and 742's are far worse with this problem.

The next one I have come in that is real bad I will hopefully remember to take a pic and post it for you.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:38 PM
bigcountry

Well, when I used to use this gun every year, I was so broke, that going out twice a year was a treat. Then when I did get into some good money, I ended up buying bolt and other things. So it was rarely used over the last 16 years. I would say with all my other guns, it will last me a lifetime.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

It probably will last a lifetime seeing as how much you shoot it.

Just something to look out for.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen hundreds of these rifles and maybe a few of them out of the bunch that will hold its poi after 3 or 4 shots.

Let me explain....

Every year I work at a large gun club for a couple of weekends before deer season doing a deer rifle sight in clinic. In my neck of the woods, 7400s and 742 are probably the second if not first most popular rifle. What we do is have the customer take 3 shots, to get a rough idea where its shooting (I'd say 85% of those that show up are not good shooters, its not a criticism, just a fact) I help them adjust their scope or sights to zero it at 100 yards. The next shot will usually be close to being zeroed, then the next shot will invariably be 5 or 6 " away. At this point, if you don't let the rifle cool down for 10 minutes, the shooter and I will be chasing our tails as the rifle/shooter combination will go from a 3 moa combination to barely being able to shoot pie plate sized groups. You let the rifle cool down for 10 minutes and it settles back down. If the shooter is a good shot and puts his first 2 shots close to eachother, the sights can be adjusted and the next couple of shots will usually fall where they should.

The remington semiautos are decent hunting rifles- they will shoot to poa if sighted in correctly and are good for a couple of shots which is all you really need for hunting purposes, but shooting more than a few shots accurately can be an execise in frustration.Most pump and semiauto shotguns do the same thing, while the mossberg bolt action slug guns tend to be much more stabil. From the handful of BARs I've seen, Brownings don't seem to have this problem.

Quick Reply: What makes the 7400 SO in accurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.