Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Alaskan

Old 06-24-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Ruger Alaskan

Anyone got one and shooting it yet? How do you like it?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Alaskan

I have seen them, but not shot one. All I can think of is Ouch. Big bullet little gun. I bet most people who buy them will be selling them after their first or second trip to the range. I would shoot it once or twice but I wouldn't buy one.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

That gun looks like a whole bunch of pain,snub-nose 454.I would be afraid to shoot it,I would rather go for a ported version.
It reminds me a of a derringer I once saw in 45-70 govt,you will only shoot it once.
BBJ
Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 PM

I've been trying to find one up this way - no luck yet. I'd like to buy one.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

This one?

Old 06-24-2005, 02:57 PM

Yep, that's the one. I'd like to have it in hand before huckleberry season starts - we've got a lot of big bears up where I've been picking and carrying my Marlin 45/70 only lets me pick with one hand.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, and I thought a 7 1/2" barrel was marginal for a .454 Casull.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm sure that would hurt ... but has anyone seen the 500 S&W that's in something like that. i'm pretty sure that that would be even worse [&:]
Old 06-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

I went to the local Gun shop while having a look see at the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter (in .243)and sawthis Stainless Steel long barreled revolver (don't recall the name of the manufacture) in .45-70 Gvt. Now that was a monster.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes this revolver will kick but there are a couple of things to keep in mind with this revolver...........

#1..... is that the barrel is so short that the bullet is in the barrel for such a short ammount of time that the firearm barely has time to begin to recoil. Remember that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. With such short barrels the bullet does not gain the speed that it would on a 7 inch version therefore it also does not gain the recoil in the opposite direction either.

#2..... is that in the 454 casull version you can also shoot 45 colt rounds for practice. Much easier on the wrists.

#3..... this thing still weighs 41 ounces unloaded, so it still aint no lightweight. That's about the same weight as a typical 4 or 5 inch barreled S&W 44 magnum.

#4..... this one is wearing Hogue recoil tamer grips which help to control the sting a lot.

Bottom line is that this gun will make one heck of a defensive weapon against angry and dangerous animal and was intended to be used as a last ditch attempt at saving ones life. I would much rather try to unholster a 2 inch revolver than a 6 or 8 inch barreled revolver. The shorter version would be much quicker handling in a life or death situation and at point blank rnage the velocity loss with a 2 inch barrel won't ammount to a hill of beans..

Besides, when you are concentrating on not getting mauled you won't notice the recoil. Even if it was chambered in 450 Marlin.

BBJ, While no 45-70 I just recently had to test fire a derringer in 410 shot shell. The thing couldn't have weighed a pound if that. But believe it or not it kicked less than a good number of 9mm firearms I have shot. I thought that thing was gonna hurt some kind of bad but the shot was out of the barrel so quick that there was little recoil at all. Actually pretty mild.

Quick Reply: Ruger Alaskan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.