Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

browning rifles

Old 06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: browning rifles

I owned an A-bolt in 7mm mag a while back. The cartridge was okay, but the rifle was not my cup of tea. I'm much happier now with my Sako 75 7 mag. I didn't care for the styling or the way it fit me. In the accuracy department it was definitely okay, but not outstanding. I also wasn't crazy about the bolt design ( I do like the short lift, though). That sleeve is just a gimmick in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:41 PM
bigcountry

Come on Solitary, is that a fair compairson? Greater than 1K Sako75 and a 550 dollar a-bolt?

I am all with you on likeing the sako better. It took me a long time to get used to the goofy looking action. I like a action to be rounded. I mean you don't see too many people building thier custom on a browning action. But you have to admit for the cost, the a-bolt ain't bad.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not saying the A-bolt is a dog or anything. It's one of the nicer production rifles out there, although I'm not crazy about the way the action and bolt are designed.You're right, you don't see many custom rifles made on this action. At least I haven't seen any.

I'dpreferthe A-boltover some other riflesI can think of, though. But for me it all boiled down to how it felt in my hands and I never could get comfortable with it. Just never felt right. I know a few people who hunt with these, though,and they're very satisfied with 'em.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:36 PM

I can't get past the shine of the wood finish or the super polish of the metal parts. I suppose I could mute both, but they still wouldn't look as nice as the Rugers. Kinda sad too, I'd like one of the BLR's.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have only had a few. A BLR in 7mm-08 was a good shooting rifle but wouldn't handle reloads well. A 22 Rimfire lever gun that was a top notch rifle in every way. I have a Browning A-Bolt light weight Slalker that shoots very well and has the best trigger that I have ever seen on a stock rifle. All in all they are one of the better rifles I have owned. Price is pretty fair as well if you shop around a little. I like them better that my two Sako's. A better value price wise IMO.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

A browning a bolt is a good shooting rifle from the factory and has a decent safety. After that any resemblance to a real FN Browning rifle is an illusion created by a very good marketing organization which browning is. I can't imagine a more idiotic floorplate/magzine box system..terrible trigger selling for what it sells for. Its half the gun a HOwa or vanguard is
Old 06-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

OEH, you got that right! Most of these young Bucks
don't know what you are talking about.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the price, I love brownings. Alot of plus's.

three bolt lug
60 degree throw
sako type spring extractor
Usually comes freefloated and somewhat glass bedded
Usually very light
Metal parts like trigger guard
Never had a problem getting one to shoot
A-Bolt standard wood is around 550 walmart prices
I think bigcountry pretty much nailed that one. My Browning .223 is my go-to rifle. In the accuracy department, it does exceptionally well with a variety of ammo. The trigger is great for a factory gun.

Any of the calibers you mentioned are excellent hunting cartridges. My personal preference leans toward a .270, but I don't see myself hunting anything bigger than medium-sized game in the near future and maybe once in my lifetime going on an elk hunt. If your hunting something bigger, the .30-06 is hard to beat.

I mean you don't see too many people building thier custom on a browning action.
Why build a custom when you can buy a Browning?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:46 PM

I knew I'd part company with that Texan if'n he came back.[:-]
Old 06-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

I knew I'd part company with that Texan if'n he came back.[:-]
Can't win them all, ol' man.

Quick Reply: browning rifles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.