Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

What do you think of this?

MSNBC.com

[hr]
[/align]Texas legislator introduces bill to allow blind people to hunt[/align]
The Associated Press[/align]
Updated: 5:07 p.m. MT Dec 11, 2006[/align][/align]
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) {
var n = document.getElementById("udtD");
if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) {
var dt = new DateTime();
pdt = dt.T2D(pdt);
if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));}
}
}
UpdateTimeStamp('633014788638670000');
[/align]AUSTIN, Texas - The blind would be able to go hunting if a Texas bill becomes law.
The bill would allow legally blind hunters to use a laser sight, or lighted pointing instrument, which is forbidden for sighted hunters, according to State Rep. Edmund Kuempel, who introduced it.
"This opens up the fun of hunting to additional people, and I think that's great," Kuempel said.
Many Texans enjoy the state's reputation for outdoor sports. The state also is where Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a friend in the face while hunting for quail earlier this year.
Blind hunters also would have to have a sighted hunter with them. They could hunt any game sighted people can hunt and otherwise use the same weapons.
The hunter would have to carry proof he or she is legally blind.
Visually impaired people are able to shoot with the aid of a sighted person, Kuempel said.
"I've seen this on TV before, when they're taking target practice," he said. "When they aim the gun the guide tells them, aim two inches higher or two inches lower and you're on the target, and you're off and running."
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which regulates hunting in Texas, currently does not have a definition for what constitutes a legally blind hunter. Kuempel's bill for the 2007 legislative session would give the agency until Jan. 1, 2008, to come up with a definition so the law could be enforced.
Under existing Texas law, the use of laser sights, spotlights and headlights is strictly prohibited.
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/align]var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){ url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16157202/
Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

i think it is great.this will be my last year for hunting.i wish pa would let you use them then i could keep hunting.it is not hard to find someone to go sit with you and help
Old 12-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Good for Texas. My oldest boy is legally blind...can't see much outside of a 15 degree field of vision. (Anything less than 20 is considered legally blind) When he does do in the field, I or his mom are always with him.

Never thought of a laser sight for him.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

That is good. But it's rediculous that a lawis evenneeded. What jerk would ever stop this from happening anyway? Law or no law.
A great friend and mentor of my Dadwas totallyblind in one eye andcould only see shapes in the other. He hunted with us for years. One of uswould sit with him andtell him what waswhat, and he wouldshoot. He had a laser sight and used it most of the time. I miss him.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 AM

I love it!!!