Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Best Replacement Crossbow string ?

Old 11-01-2020, 05:57 AM
Spike

Default Best Replacement Crossbow string ?

I have a Horton Hunter and need a replacement string. Just put one on last year from Sportsman's Den in Shelby ,Ohio and the serving is coming apart. I have shot it maybe 35 times since new string and always wax string and lube rails.Any strings that will last a little longer ? I know it isn't the Den's fault, maybe just a bad string ? Any help would be great ! Had 4 bucks under my stand Sat 10-30-20 but no Mr. Big yet just want to be ready when the time comes ! Thanks Jim
Old 11-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by JIMSWHIM
I have a Horton Hunter and need a replacement string. Just put one on last year from Sportsman's Den in Shelby ,Ohio and the serving is coming apart. I have shot it maybe 35 times since new string and always wax string and lube rails.Any strings that will last a little longer ? I know it isn't the Den's fault, maybe just a bad string ? Any help would be great ! Had 4 bucks under my stand Sat 10-30-20 but no Mr. Big yet just want to be ready when the time comes ! Thanks Jim
Take your crossbow to an good bow shop and have them tell you the best one for your bow, you are better off having a professional replace the string anyway.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

If there is nothing wrong with the string re-serving would be a practical answer. The information and material needed is on the internet or and good bow shop should do it.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

again I think many of the Horton brand X bows, just has bad designs and lots of unneeded friction on strings and rails, , they just wear faster than other brands from my experience with hen and according to my buddy that owns a bow shop
he made me several strings over the yrs of several HIGH end string company's, added extra servings and I waxed and lubed rails on MINE, and all I did was replace strings each yr, as the servings would wear down often and fast, as I dis charge my X bow after every hunt(sometimes 30+ days a season, twice a day), so they worn out Fast for me and needed changing every season,, and again I tried many brands of strings , NONE lasted any longer, it just sucked,
but its what I did a few yrs till I got a different X bow!, then problem went away on super fast wear, unless I shot a LOT more!
I sort of look at strings as wear items and from use to AGE alone, I find safety peace of mind in replacing every so often!, there is a LOT of stress on a X box string YR round,then periods of even more so when you start using after sitting for so long, think of all the heat cycles and such, things age and weaken, its facts here, even OEM's have recommended time frames to replace things, for reasons!
Old 12-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Spike

I think it require professional implement
Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 PM
Spike

Red face Best Crossbow String

Decron is one of the best and finest quality bow string known for its stretching capability.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Spike

I use Boo Strings on my Micro 335. Excellent quality and great service
Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Spike

http://www.boocustomstrings.com/