Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Any way to change a string w/o a bow press?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default Any way to change a string w/o a bow press?

Does anyone know if it's possible to change a bowstring on a Horton crossbow (brand doesn't matter) with wheels with the bowstring's anchor loop on the inside of the wheel - w/o having to purchase a BowMaster Bow Press?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 AM
Spike

I can't believe NO ONE have ever had any experience in running into this issue with THEIR crossbow(s) and has nothing to contribute about this! WTH?

Good thing I just went out and ordered a BowMaster Portable Bow Press is all I can say!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

On some of the newer Mission Xbows strings can be changed by backing the limb bolts way out. On some of the recurve types, a "stringer" can be used. On your Horton, I'd think you would need a press.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
On some of the newer Mission Xbows strings can be changed by backing the limb bolts way out. On some of the recurve types, a "stringer" can be used. On your Horton, I'd think you would need a press.
Yup that's what I thought.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Don't know about compound Xbows but you could change string on old compounds by drawing the bow while someone puts a nail trough the cams near the limb. This was done on the side of the limb that would not let the limbs go back. Just make sure cables stay in place.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by redmag
Don't know about compound Xbows but you could change string on old compounds by drawing the bow while someone puts a nail trough the cams near the limb. This was done on the side of the limb that would not let the limbs go back. Just make sure cables stay in place.
WOW Redmag! How THERE'S one Hell of an idea! I will give that a try and report back! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Spike

Redmag? Don't think that will work on my crossbow b/c these alum cams are SOLID with NO holes thru them like some bows cams have...so there is no way to put a nail thru the cams.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Spike

PS Just got a nice brand new full size BowMaster Bow Press on eBay for $43. Can be used on a any compound bow and I found it worked just as well with my crossbow! Was able to change my string out in minutes w/o an risk of blowing the cables off the wheels/tracks, etc. Can also change out any of my cables if I ever need to as well!
Def recommend it!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ss&FORM=HDRSC2

Last edited by mju6559; 07-21-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: URL didn't work....
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Build a second string w/ blocks on the ends to it to fit behind the pulleys while bow is cocked........let it down and voila...
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
Build a second string w/ blocks on the ends to it to fit behind the pulleys while bow is cocked........let it down and voila...
Thanks Awshucks! Wish I had known this before I purchased the bow press! LOL. Oh well, at least we'll have one between the 3 of us that bowhunt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.