Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Rail lube/wax?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Spike

Default Rail lube/wax?

Question here

I am fairly new to shooting crossbows and am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong. For my crossbow, I used a wax on the string and then a wax on the rail…my main concern is that I shouldn’t use a wax on the rain and should have some sort of lubricant? After I fire a few shots with it, my strings smell like they are burning so I must be doing something wrong.

Please advise
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wax

Stop using wax on the rail. Clean it off really good and then get some rail lube from your archery shop. There are several brands available out there. I use Ten Point rail lube on mine. Get a tube and follow the directions.

Rogo
Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for wax and or rail lube.
The burning smell is from the aluminum nocks you are using. The friction of the aluminum nock against the aluminum rail turns the aluminum nock and rail into aluminum oxide. Sometimes it's a sign that your nocks are bigger than your shaft diameter, sometimes it's a sign that your tiller is off a bit or a lot. I use plastic nocks with my Excalibur bows and don't smell it until I use an arrow with an aluminum nock.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Spike

Wow, I feel liked i just learned about 4 things there. Thanks guys.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by YotaMan88
Wow, I feel liked i just learned about 4 things there. Thanks guys.

Dnk has it correct. He is one of the most knowledgeable people in the crossbow world today.
I have learned to always listen when he talks.
He also makes the best recurve crossbow strings you can buy.

Thanks Don. You have taught me a lot and I greatly appreciate all your help.