Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new crossbow

Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default new crossbow

getting a crossbow for my dad hes 70years old but still in good shape. was looking at the pse crossfire or barnett quad 400 or the horton brotherhood pgs they are about the same price which one is the better of the 2? also any info on any other crossbow packages in this price range would be great. im new to crossbows. ive always just been a compound bow guy. so any help would be gr8 so whats the best in my price range?

Last edited by massman; 10-04-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Excal Axiom packages, stay away from Barnett, I blew a Quad 400 up........
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

I second awshucks statement, stay away from the Barnett as I had a predator that blew strings like crazy! I had sold my tenpoint like an idiot and bought the Barnett after talking with a friend from work who had just bought one. The extra speed was just not worth it IMO. I bought another tenpoint and never looked back. I of course would highly recommend a tenpoint for your grandfather, especially with the accudraw which makes cocking the bow extremely easy for him.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol it was his dad..not his grand pa lol
STAY AWAY FROM BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont know anything about any other xbow..sry
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only owned a Horton compound and an Excalibur Vortex recurve. The Horton got the job done, but I like the Vortex much better due to the quality, accuracy, and easy maintenance. If possible I'd try to go to a shop or store where I could try them out first. Excalibur, TenPoint are known to be good. Also depends on whether you want a compound or recurve.