Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new to crossbows question

Old 06-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Spike

Default new to crossbows question

just buoght a new horton crossbow.always used compound before.are crossbow always so loud?sound kinda like a dry fired compound.what do i need to do to quit it down?but it shoot really good.is this just the way they are with a 175 lb pull? thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy some ear plugs, just the nature of the beasts. Any thing you do to the bow to quiet it will slow it down..........Go w/ heavier arrows.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awshucks hit the nail on the head. I switched to a cross bow a few years back due to a shoulder injury. There were three attibutes of using a cross bow that I still struggle with ... the weight, managing enough horizontal clearance space for the limbs and the "rifle shot" noise on the release. I tried a few things to soften the racket ... limb savers, string "silencers", etc. Nothing helped much, if at all. My first was a used high-end Ten Point and the one I have now is a Parker Tornado. Both are prettty loud. However on shots out as far as 30-35 yards in I have not had issues with "jumping the string".