Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excal up and running!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Excal up and running!

I posted awhile back that I bought an Excal Phoenix for my daughter. However, she is off at college so it sat in the box in my closet for a month until she came home for Turkey day.

Anyway, she put it together last night and shot it for the first time today. Very accurate bow! I won't let her shoot at game past 20 yards this year, but she was hitting the black at that distance! Pretty fun!

Now just have to see how it shoots broadheads. Got some 100 gr Magnus Stinger 4 blade to try. They recommend 150 gr heads for the arrows I am shooting, but hopefully the 100s will shoot well.

Currently don't have any kind of silencers on the bow. Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ear plugs ! Anything else will just slow it down. Excal is coming out with their version of the STS & it would help. Don't buy the STS as it has you cut the rods just to get it to fit right. 100 gr BH's work fine
Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Ear plugs ! Anything else will just slow it down. Excal is coming out with their version of the STS & it would help. Don't buy the STS as it has you cut the rods just to get it to fit right. 100 gr BH's work fine
X2

(at 20 yards the noise won't matter)
Old 11-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

There are 4 things that will reduce or change the noise your bow makes. One is a heavy arrow set up. Two is either a Dacron string (the one that comes with a new bow) or a string made from 452X. Three is a string stopper (wait for the factory one to come out this weekend). Four is served on Cat Whiskers.
It is a good idea to make an effort to reduce the noise level for your daughter. It will help her shoot with more comfort and hopefully lead to better shooting.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! Daughter went back to college today. Will have to "break it in" for her until he gets back in two weeks. Hopefully I will do some good with it this coming weekend. Have a 3 day hunt planned.

Shot it with 100 gr Magnus stingers today at 20 yards. Consistent 2 inch group. Pretty good! I won't go beyond 20 myself until I practice a lot more.