Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur draws first blood

Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default Excalibur draws first blood

Well, sort of. Tonight at work (I work for a large car dealer), a skunk shows up about dark. He's the same skunk that comes out in broad daylight, traveling under the cars on the lot, generally giving a scare to several customers. We were all worried he might be carrying rabies. The boss gives me the go ahead to shoot after several failed attempts to trap him. So after chasing him around the lot tonight for 10 minutes or so, waiting for him to steer clear of the cars on the lot and offering a safe, clean shot, I put the Varizone crosshairs on him and let the arrow fly. The firebolt with a Rage 2-blade finds its mark, and he goes down instantly. I would show pictures but I think people would get sick. These broadheads make a wicked hole! So its not the big buck I'm after but an opportunity to use the Excalibur none the less. Let me hear about anything interesting you've put down with a crossbow.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not your usual quarry with a crossbow, for sure, but congratulations!!!!

Did it spray when you shot it?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats but he likely didn't have rabies...comparing his behavior against the one in my yard that did. What's the limit on skunks with crossbow thereabouts?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Spike

He did spray a little as he passed on....wow did that stink up the place! I'm somewhat saddened that I had to shoot him. I was always taught to not shot anything unless you planned on eating it, but in this case I felt it was necessary to keep customers as well as salespeople from potentially getting sprayed. I hope this is the last skunk I ever have to shoot, as those rage broadheads are expensive to replace.