Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need some opinions.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Spike

Default Need some opinions.

Is this a good crossbow to start hunting white tail with? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=508885

I have a $150 budget now, and the reviews I've seen for this one seem pretty good. Anyone have any opinions on it or alternatives that would be better? I'm 19 and trying to get into hunting. Help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by That Dude
Is this a good crossbow to start hunting white tail with? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=508885

I have a $150 budget now, and the reviews I've seen for this one seem pretty good. Anyone have any opinions on it or alternatives that would be better? I'm 19 and trying to get into hunting. Help is appreciated. Thanks!
It would appear marginal for hunting to me. Note that the add focuses on plinking not hunting. Arrows shorter than I prefer, will limit range and KE. Unable to quantify their KE, however, since arrows weight is not listed. Personally I'd save up for a bow that's a bit more hunting-friendly. Several entry level bows for about twice your budget but if that's all you can afford...

Last edited by Cossack; 10-16-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply, only person on two forums to answer me lol.

I'm looking into repairing a bow my dad gave me. It's a recurve, but it has a few chips in the fiberglass, so I'm a little afraid to use it without having a pro look at it.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Buying a "cheap" crossbow is always a big mistake, There are good used Excal or TenPoint cross bows available. Save your money and buy a crossbow made by a reputable nanyvactrures
Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, there are always guys that have to have the newest each year that sell their used bows. I would look there first.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on getting into the sport! Imho, you'll have enough to do w/o marginally equipping yourself.

There's an old joke about how a boat is a hole in the water one throws money into, lol, somewhat the same can be said for hunting.

$150 in 'fun coupons' is going to be a real challenge. A decent range finder will eat most of that up, let alone the xbow, arrows, bheads, targets, ect. I'd suggest a used Horton. There's a gazillion of them out there, the little glitches that come up once in a while are easily solved.

I shoot Excals for a number of reasons but you won't touch one for that amount.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figure since people are replying to this topic, I'll just ask here:

Whats the bare minimum I can use to get into the woods this year bow hunting? I have a recurve bow, need a string, arrows, and a fiberglass repair kit. I can only spend $150, as I've said, so, how can I get into the woods this year? I mean, if Native Americans did it with long bows and wood arrows, there has to be a way I can with $150 and a bow. >.>
Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are getting a late start for this season if you're going to use a recurve.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

How about you take what you have and find a reputable bow shop. Take your bow to them and see what they have to say about it. Or else find someone you can trust that works on bows for themselves and tell them your situation.

I started out real cheap in Blackpowder and still regret it. Since then I have purchased a great ML that I have shot several deer with. I will be going the "get a better one the first time and not waste money on cheap" route soon on a Crossbow. Have been looking seriously at a Parker Tornado for 2 years and I am about at the budget where I can afford it and feel comfortable.

Think of it this way -The deer of a lifetime is 20 yards away from you and it is standing broadside. Would you trust a $150 piece of bow to accuratley make that shot or would you be just happy telling your friends and fellow hunters of the wall mounter that got away. I have had to do that but will not do it again. How about you?

Good luck and keep on hunting.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I actually went the other way, and without buying anything, my cousin passed down to me a bear compound bow, with some basic sights and an arrow rest. I want to upgrade the sights and get some nice broad heads, maybe swhackers (Not sure on the spelling there, weird word.) But yeah, it worked out pretty well. He told me my recurve bow was fine, but he gave me the bear compound cause it has a better draw weight, and sights.