Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Grouping problem

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Spike

Default Grouping problem

ok so i dont know the first thing about crossbows, i shoot a compound. but my dad shoots a crossbow, horton legend 2 i think is what its called with 175lb pull. in short, the xbow will shoot a decent group one time and the next you could fit a ruler between the arrows. im inclined to think that his arrows arent flying right or the broadheads arent tuned or something to that effect, but he has had the same problem with a couple sets of different arrow/broadhead combonations.

can anyone give me somefeed back on how to get this thing to shoot consistant groups??
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Spike

combinations *
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Spike

Is he drawing the string by hand? That can cause the string to be off center and can cause wild groups. Make sure he's using a ****ing aid, the correct size/weight arrows and start off with field points. If the bow is still shooting poorly, there's likely a timing issue with the cams and/or cables. If it shoots fine with field points, but shoots bad with broadheads, then he'll have to find a head that bow likes. I'm a big fan of the 2 blade Rages myself.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aluminum arrows? Check to see if they are bent. Are all the bolts and screws tight? Scope good? Don't know enough about arrows being used to offer advice.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need to knowed the type of arrows & vane size also the BH's being used what front inserts ?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

im actually not sure about his arrows, i just know theyre carbon and hes shooting muzzy 3 blade heads. and thanks for the advise hanks.... but i think dad has had it with his old crossbow. he called me last night and said he was gonnna get the z7 this week. im excited cause i wanna shoot it lol
Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Spike

Just fyi, I shot the muzzy 100 grain 3 blades last year. They shot great out of my crossbow, but they did NOT shoot to the same POI as my field points. It was a simple matter of re-adjusting my scope for the broadhead. This year I decided to try the 2 blade 100 grain Rages and have been extremely impressed. They shoot exactly the same as field points out of my crossbow.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

How about cam timing ?
Is the crossbow in tune ?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

With arrows hitting good on one set then same arrows shooting off makes me think its something going on with the scope/scope mount/ rings/screws !
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Spike

I have the same bow. I switched to gold tips and 110gr. brass inserts and my groups tightened up a great deal. Also, Muzzys would not fly good out of my bow. Switched to Wasp Boss 100 gr. At thirty yards they fly two in. to the right of feild tips.
Hope this helps.