Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Utah with a crossbow?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Spike

Default Utah with a crossbow?

I’m brand new to crossbow hunting (haven’t done it yet) and new to this forum. The reason for my interest in crossbows is an invite I got to hunt exotics in Texas. The area to be hunted is archery only.

I used to hunt with a compound but that was back in the ‘70s. Plus, I just had rotator cuff repair surgery on my right shoulder last January. And did I mention that I’m 68 years young? Those issues make it near impossible for me to start using a compound bow again so I’m considering the crossbow.

Texas is not a problem as they are totally legal there. Utah, however, is still in the dark ages (in my opinion) with regard to crossbows. They are only allowed for those persons unable to use conventional archery tackle and only if certified by a medical professional. As I understand it so far, I have to get an application from the DNR, fill it out, and have my surgeon sign it. I’ll follow through with that and see what happens.

My real questions for you kind folks are these: are any of you from Utah and can crossbows be legally used as a substitute weapon during any of the firearm seasons such as limited entry, muzzleloader, etc? I know, I know, I can look it up on the Utah DNR site. But I’d really like some first hand information from somebody who’s been there, done that.

If you can help me out; thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

sorry i'm from ohio. if you don't have any luck here. try the west regional forum.