Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Arrow tips for deer hunting with Excalibur Vixen II

Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Spike

Default Arrow tips for deer hunting with Excalibur Vixen II

All,

I got an Excalibur Vixen II (see other thread "Crossbow for women") and although its a smaller crossbow that my wife will be able to use, I am quite impressed with its capabilities so far in practice shots.

So far I only have practice tips and am looking into what I need for deer hunting later this year.

What would you recommend I get?
I saw the "bolt cutters" on Excalibur's website but have no idea if this is the best route to follow.

Thanks for any input.

G.

Last edited by GlouGlou; 07-02-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Knowing what arrows you are using and where you live [CAN or US]would be a good thing. I use GT L II's w/ brass inserts and 100 gr Slicks w/ good results, but the Slicks seem to like more FOC than alum inserts have.

Danny Miller, Excal warranty rep in USA sells them, among others. They weigh about 408 gr w/ 100 gr points.

The only Firebolts I've shot belonged to others passing thru here, they had good results w/ 150 gr Boltcutters.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Spike

I have the brown Vixen and it likes the 100 gr slick tricks pretty well. Deer don't like them much. Tried the muzzys and Nap thunderheads but they didn't fly very well in my bow. Pretty much just have to try several and see how it does.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by awshucks
Knowing what arrows you are using and where you live [CAN or US]would be a good thing. I use GT L II's w/ brass inserts and 100 gr Slicks w/ good results, but the Slicks seem to like more FOC than alum inserts have.

Danny Miller, Excal warranty rep in USA sells them, among others. They weigh about 408 gr w/ 100 gr points.

The only Firebolts I've shot belonged to others passing thru here, they had good results w/ 150 gr Boltcutters.
Hi,

Currently have Excalibur Firebolt carbon arrows. I am in eastern Canada. I am open to getting other arrows if suggested.

G.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting 100 Slick Trick mags (or Spitfires) on GT's with 110gr brass insert and Blazers in my Phoenix and Vortex. When practicing with Firebolts I increases the tip weight to 125 gr and get the same point of impact and comparable accuracy as above.
Good luck

Last edited by Cossack; 07-02-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Spike

Slick Trick Standards ... I've killed a boatload of deer with them from 256fps up to 386fps; with arrows from 302gr up to 435gr. They are accurate & murderous out of any bow.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big fixed BH's will need lots of FOC, smaller ones like Slicks, Montec G5 or Magnus Snuffer SS & others get by with less. Mech. BH's will do well with most any decent set-up, spitfire is very good