Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Uncle Ted's Excalibur

Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Spike

Default Uncle Ted's Excalibur

Caught a new episode of Spirit of the Wild yesterday and saw Uncle Ted had an S-coil Limbsaver stabilizer mounted to his excalibur. Anyone have any ideas how he did this? Looks like it would be a pretty good forward grip for those slippery Excalibur stocks.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't see the show but by your description it sounds like he's using the S coil stabilizer mounted as a handle perpendicular to the forearm. If so, my (guess) is that the stock was drilled and tapped and the stabilizer screwed in. The stock material is quite dense, I have drilled holes in the Excal stock to screw on the cheekpiece. BTW a post does make a great grip. I have one on my Cyclone - that folds down when not in use - makes it much easier to carry that way.That one is marketed by Parker but it take a Picatinney rail to attach it. http://www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/RHcrossbowacc.html

Last edited by Cossack; 01-19-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Paradox out of Canada that had an Excal stabilizer w/ it. it mounted on an 'L' brkt under the rail via the two bolts to the riser.

I've seen 'Ted' w/ an Excal w/ two stick-on Limbsavers on each limb. According to Excal co-owner, Bill T, one each costs you 15-20 fps.

Fwiw.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Spike

Cossack,
Thats precisely what he used it for. I was thinking of getting one and re-tapping one of the two holes in the metal frame that the quiver bracket uses. I wonder what the threads are on the s-coil?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tapping the metal might work, I'd be concerned that the metal is too soft and thin to accommodate the S coil as a handle. Plus you'd have to take the handle off to sling-carry the bow. Here's an idea: Use the same holes to attach a piece of Weaver scope base, or other Picatinney type rail, then use the Parker post instead.
It has the advantage of being able to be adjusted to several positions, and completely down while carrying the bow with a sling.
I've tried carrying mine while extended, not fun. Plus it's hollow so one can hide small objects (like spare battery, or bow use permit).
One could also attach the rail to the stock itself. Or, if you insist on the S coil, drill a hole in the (inside) of the stock and use epoxy to glue in a nut or pillar to accommodate the S coil threads, pretty much like pillar bedding an action screw on a firearm.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

Shot a lot of deer with my Excalibur and never had the need to quiet it any more. Sometimes some people get too caught up in the noise thing and is truley not neccessary. Kind of like bow speed. Never had a deer jump my crossbow bolt. Yes they make some noise but doesn't interfear with killing my deer. Anything attatched to the limb of any bow slows it down. I shoot traditional also and as fast as that bolt goes from the crossbow you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Uncle Ted gets paid for useing a lot of things now he never used to use. SPONSORS
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just completed the "TED MOD" on my Vortex- the S- coil uses a 5/16-24 thread. make sure its the 5/16-24. its a fine thread. you can find a tap and proper drill bit online or ebay. Pep Boys auto store has a kawasaki brand tap and drill pack for 3$. the tap is easy to find but the drill bit size is a size "I" (whatever that means?...) so to make life easy i got the pack with both in it. i would recommend a drill press so the holes and tap are straight but i guess if you take your time you could do it by hand because your just following the old hole. i drill with the slowest speed on my press. when i put the tap in the drill press to make the thread i Dont use the motor on the drill press. i just apply light down pressure with the press handle and turn the tap by hand slowly using a drop of oil . make sure you drill and tap the black quiver mount plate first and then the crossbow hole. you SHOULDNT do both in one shot . i used the hole closer to the forearm stock. when you screw in the LIMBSAVER--- 4 1/2 inch S- COIL it snugs up nice almost against stock giving a better feel and more stability. the aluminum is a little on the thin side but seems like it wont be a problem. if it gets loose down the road you could just pop the black cover cap from the front of the channel of the crossbow and snake a 5/16-24 nut taped to a rod to snake it down to the hole. all in all- i think this mod is better than tapping the plastic forearm. i guess its also gonna help a little with shock and vibration too! also i plan on leaving the handle on at all times so thread life wont be a problem. this makes it a little tight in the padded case but works. thanks for the idea Ted! WHAT A COOL MOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by liquidorange; 01-31-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got Parker Buck Buster 175 and this xbow is the quietest Xbow I've ever shot...

Dont need anything else to quiet it down...
bow is fast and accurate!!!

pretty sad you guys pay all that money for a bow and then have to put stuff on it to quiet it down and loose FPS to get a bow that doesent sound like a 22 when it goes off...

Way to go Parker!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
pretty sad you guys pay all that money for a bow and then have to put stuff on it to quiet it down and loose FPS to get a bow that doesent sound like a 22 when it goes off...

Way to go Parker!!!
we are talking about adding a handle to the forearm. the limbsaver acts like a stealth grip not as a noise gadget. by the way isint the parker buckbuster a budget beginner parker crossbow?? i got my lady a pink parker stinger which i believe is the same crossbow just different color. its not all that quiet and is good for a beginner but is nowhere near the quality of the excalibur. . cable guide pops out the sides on the parker and has too much trigger creep . no comparison to the trigger on the excalibur.

Last edited by liquidorange; 02-07-2010 at 10:24 AM.